Captive

I woke to the clang of metal. My eyes flashed opened as I looked toward the door. The metal box next to the door had a tray of food attached to it. I wouldn't call it food though.

I slowly sat up. I had no idea how long I had slept, but my stomach hurt from hunger. I had not eaten anything since yesterday morning. My day had been so bad yesterday that I hadn't thought about food or water.

I staggered toward the metal box, and looked down at the 'food'. It looked like a glass of water and a peice of hard bread.

I picked the glass of water up then sniffed it. It smelled metalic and old. The bread was stiff and looked a couple days outdated.

I cringed and ate the scanty meal. It didn't even phase my hunger or thirst.

When I was done I sat on the bed. I ended up lying down again. My gaze drifted up at the ceiling. The whole ceiling seemed to glow the same light. It looked like the whole ceiling was one large light.

There was only one square hole in the ceiling where air flowed into the cell. There were metal bars across it. So that meant I couldn't climb inside.

Is there any way out of this place?

I sighed and refused to think about what the scientist wanted to do with me. My mind stayed focused on ways to escape.

I could make a run for it when they open the door.

I threw that idea away. If I run out I could get lost in this massive place then get recaptured.

I continued to think of ideas as I layed there on the bed. I needed to conserve my energy for what was to come.

Throughout the day I expected to be taken out of the cell, but nothing ever happened. Someone gave me two more meals like I had been given earlier, and that was all that ever happened.

It was a boring day, but I'm was glad it wasn't anything close to what happened yesterday. I was less than an inch from dying, literally.

Drake still plans to kill me though. That's why I have to escape soon.

My mind was fogged because of my hunger and thirst. Escape ideas didn't come easily.

I have no help from the outside or inside. I'm completly alone. No one will help save me this time. Only I can save myself now.

There wasn't a clock in the cell, but I knew that it had been a whole day when I fell asleep again.

My second night was restless. I dreamed of Drake and evil henchmen. When I woke I knew that I was still among them. Sometimes it's a relief when you wake up and realize that your dream isn't real. It's not like that with me.

The clang of metal anounced a new arrival of food. I turned to look at it. Instead of old bread and water, it was something else.

Is that an... omelet?

I cautiously walked over to it. I surveyed the platter. There was an omelet and a glass of orange juice.

That's suspicious. Really suspicious.
I was starving, and I began eating. My third bite was interrupted up something hard in my mouth. I was about to ignore it and swallow, but I thought again.

I spit out the hard object then picked it up between my finger tipes.

I should have known better!