Escaping

Something kept bumping my leg. It was getting on my nerves too. Then I realized I was lying on my stomach. Someone was saying my name over an over.

I slowly regained consciousness. I could feel a cold hard floor as my resting place. When did I start sleeping on the floor?

Everything that had happened came back in a sudden wave of memory. The fight and everything that happened.

I forced my eyes open and saw Elias sitting in front of me. He must have been bumping my leg.

"Anada, I thought you'd never wake up. I was so worried. How are you feeling?" He asked concerned.

"I'm fine. How long have I been out?" I said groggily.

Then I noticed my hands were put in handcuffs around a pipe. I pulled on them uselessly. They clinked against the metal pipe. Elias, who was sitting on my left side, was stuck in the same way.

"A few hours, but I'm not really sure how long. I fell asleep when they were transporting us." He sounded very tired.

"Are you okay?" I asked, but it was a bad question. I could clearly see bruises and cuts all over him from the fight. I was almost completely healed.

I quickly replaced my question, "Do you know where we are?"

I sat up and looked around the room. There were pipes everywhere. The floor was made of grey concrete. It wasn't a big room, but it wasn't a small room either. There was only one lonely light in the room. It's dim light poorly lit the area. The corners in the room were dark and shadowy.

"I have no idea." He replied.

"Do you know what they want?" I asked fearfully.

"They didn't tell me who they were or what they wanted."

"We have to get away." I said desperately. Then I thought of ways to pick the lock on the cuffs.

There was nothing sharp or pointed in our reach. I could grow out my claws and try that. But that was impossible. My fingers couldn't even reach the keyhole in the handcuffs.

I know! I can use the claws on my feet! Then I thought about Elias. He would be able to see my claws. What would he think?

That doesn't matter. We have to escape! I can give Elias an excuse later.

I kicked off my tennis shoes and socks. I've always liked being barefoot anyway.

I heard Elias say,"What are you doing? You might need those."

"I'll get them later." I answered.

I pulled my right foot up to the cuffs. Then I glanced at Elias. He watched me intently. I paused and thought about what I was about to do. Will I regret what I'm about to do?

I decided to continue with my plan. I grew my claws out and started picking the lock.

I expected Elias to say or do something, but he didn't. A long moment passed before the silence was broken.

"This is all my fault." Elias said randomly.

"What is?" I asked, but my eyes never left the lock.

"Getting kidnapped. I should have gone for help, but I couldn't stand the thought of leaving you with those men." He said shaking his head.

"It's not your fault. Those men would have tried to take me whether or not you were there."