Ambush

"Maybe I was wrong. It looks like they've already left." Alex whispers as we step into the clearing.

No one was at the lumber mill, and nothing could be heard. There wasn't a black tractor trailer either.

We were too late.

Alex says, "There might be something here we can use to find where they went."

He continues, "It looks safe enough. We'll split into groups. Elias and Anada work together well so they will be one group. Westen and Neil will be another group, and Reina and I will be one. I want Elias and Anada to check around the back of the mill, but be careful. The rest of us will go inside."

We did what he said and walked toward the back of the building. Everything was quiet. Once we got to the corner of the large building we found more smaller buildings. Piles of wood were gathered here and there.

Elias and I quietly kept walking around, but there was only rusty junk laying on the ground.

"I don't like the feeling of this, Elias." I said uncertain.

I turned to Elias as he nodded. Suddenly a man ran out from behind one of smaller buildings. He tried punching Elias in the back of the head, but I warned him before he was hit. Elias ducked and kicked the man.

We ran behind one of the small buildings. Loud voices were talking and coming closer to us.

I turned to Elias, and he gave me one nod. I shifted into a dragon. It felt like stretching after a long car ride. My large wings grew from my back. Blue and green scales started growing on my arms and legs. My face became longer and my tail grew.

"It's an ambush." I say as I finish shifting.

Elias says, "I can't believe it. We have to warn the others! Come on!"

We run out from behind the building and meet the men. Their jaws drop when they see me. I roar loudly at them in fury. One turns and runs, but three men remain.

I breath in deeply, and let out a blistering stream of fire in their direction. One jumps out of the way, but the others get burned. The burns aren't severe so the men try coming at me.

Elias picks up a slab of wood to use as a weapon. I flair open my wings. One of the men comes at me with an axe. I puff smoke in his face then grab the axe out of his hand. My tail whips around and knocks his legs out from under him. I raise the axe. The man gets up to stumble and run away screaming. The other man runs away with him.

Elias has already taken out the last man. His opponent lays on the ground unconscious.

Elias says while breathing hard, "Good job. Now let's find the others."

I nod and we run towards the nearest door to the mill. We go through the back door. A large room about the size of a school gym stretches out in front of us. Old machines and wooden crates filled the room. I could hear the team, but I couldn't see them.

"What was that? It sounded like a door closed?" Alex asked his friends.

"We have to warn them. They don't know about the ambush yet." I say quickly to Elias.

Elias and I weave through the obtactles to the team. Elias tries yelling at them, but it's too late.

I hear a crash and shouting. Elias and I stop. A mountain of wooden boxes separates us from the team.