Chapter Four: Mean Ravenclaws and Brave Slytherins

Disclaimer: I do not own "Harry Potter", only my original characters.

A/N: In this chapter, we have two special appearances: our favourite Transfiguration Professor and a Hufflepuff Prefect called (name) Diggory. Coincidence? I think not. xD

Trigger warnings: past suicide attempts (Myrtle), bullying (implied)

-----------------------------------------------------------//----------------------------------------------------------------

During Myrtle's first week in Hogwarts, older students from Ravenclaw had explained to the first years that it was preferable to stay away from Slytherins, especially if they were Muggle-borns, while also adding that Muggle-borns from Gryffindor or Gryffindors, in general, were more likely to be harassed by the snakes because of the big rivalry Gryffindor-Slytherin that had started not too much after Salazar Slytherin left the school, which in turn was related to their opposite views on teaching Muggle-borns: Slytherin was against this, Gryffindor approved and strongly encouraged it.

Despite this, Myrtle had frequently wondered if the Hat had made a mistake during Olive Hornby's Sorting. Her Housemate barely had passable grades, but possessed the cunning and the resourcefulness that Slytherins were known for. She also had never been pranked by another student. Instead, she did the pranking, sometimes joining other senior students from Slytherin who tolerated her because she was related to a Bulstrode and her grandparents were supposedly very wealthy Half-bloods – she liked to brag the fact they owned some shops in Diagon Alley. The Pure-blood girls treated her like an equal.

Few weeks after beginning her new education, Myrtle had realized that Olive Hornby's favourite target was Myrtle, the Muggle-born who was known in the entire school as "Moaning Myrtle". The girl who would lock herself in the girls' lavatory on the second floor for hours, crying rivers of tears and sometimes damage her wrists with everything pointy – scissors, a quill – hoping to end her own life. Of course, no one knew of that last part except for Minnie who usually comforted her when Myrtle was resting at the Hospital Wing. Every time she was there, Myrtle would say they were just "accidents". She knew that Minnie did not fully believe in her, but as she never pried on Myrtle's secrets, it brought the younger girl a great amount of relief.

This time, the raven-haired had been hit by a Colloshoo and a Locomotor Wibbly. People would pass by her without saying anything or mocking her instead, which was the case for Slytherins. She also was aware that she was too late to attend Professor Flitwick's Charms class, which she was not that bad at, comparing with Potions or Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Eventually, help came in the shape of a tall and stern-faced brunette with square-rimmed glasses who wore the same uniform and black robes as Myrtle, except hers had a Prefect badge pinned to her shouder and her tie was coloured golden and maroon. It was Minnie.

Pulling out her wand, she pointed it at Myrtle, instantly ending the hexes. The junior student noted that the fifth year had not even uttered the words; non-verbal spells were Minnie's forte. She was also interested in pursuing an internship under famous Transfiguration Masters after graduating and eventually teaching young wizards and witches. But for Myrtle, the thought of Minnie leaving was simply too sad to bear.

No, you can't just go! What will happen after you're gone?

"McGonagall!"

Myrtle jumped with fright at the male voice addressing her friend, puffy bespectacled eyes flickering to the tall and lean figure striding to where they were. The yellow and black tie identified him as a Hufflepuff, while the badge on his robes meant he too was a Prefect.

"What did the twins do now, Diggory?" Minnie asked him, her bespectacled piercing grey eyes locking with his own. "Planted dung bombs under your Prefects' bed? Stole your favourite Montrose Magpies' cloak?"