Chapter Ten: Stefan Salvatore, the Reformed "Ripper of Monterey"

Disclaimer: I do not own "Harry Potter" and "The Vampire Diaries".

The first thing Myrtle noticed was the guilt in his forest-green eyes. The second most noticeable thing was the enchanted lapis-lazuli ring that had an "S" carved in sterling silver.

"Stefan!" Lexi eyed the very handsome newcomer with a mock-accusing look as he approached the trio. " You bloody wanker...you didn't tell me you were coming to the wedding!" She punched him playfully on the shoulder, to which he winced in mock-pain. "Where is your pain-in-the-ass older brother?"

"He is...well," the handsome vampire replied stiffly, eyes flashing with pain. "I believe he is still in New Orleans with his new girlfriend. You know her, she is the brunette with green eyes. Charlotte."

"Witch, No-Maj or vampire?" Azure asked suddenly, much to Stefan's befuddlement. "Sorry for not introducing ourselves, I am Azure. Well, Azurelia, but I don't like being called that and I'm here as a stand-in- to my parents who are busy hunting down Grindelwald's followers and Inferi in China. I came on the part of the bride."

"My name is Myrtle," the younger girl introduced herself, a small smile on her face. "Keane Warren is my brother."

"Nice to meet you. I am Stefan Salvatore," he said, offering them a friendly grin. "Some minutes ago, I saw someone who looked just like Miss Myrtle but without glasses. Sister?"

"Twin," Myrtle corrected. "And you are her type."

"I must be careful in that case," he said with a chuckle before giving them a searching look, making Myrtle wonder if Vampires could differentiate between normal humans and wizards.

"By the way, if you are trying to figure out why two human girls know that the ring you're wearing is of the magical kind, the answer is simple: we are witches, the kind that carries a wand," Azure chimed in, producing her wand and pointing it at his necktie: the colour changed from plain dark grey to a mixture of the colours that made up the United States' flag. "So?"

Stefan blinked constantly at his new tie while Lexi stifled several laughs. Azure quickly undid the spell. "The third one. Albeit he turned her first," he said, his posture more relaxed as he asked curiously, "Are you two witches like your parents?"

"I am the only witch in my family," Myrtle clarified. "In our world, I am known as a Muggle-born, meaning that my parents are Muggles, non-magical people. The American term for it is No-Majs?" She turned to Lexi who nodded at her. "We attend Hogwarts."

"Céleste and her parents both went to Beauxbatons. It welcomes students from Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Italy, Spain, France and Portugal," Lexi added. "Hogwarts founded in Scotland one thousand years ago by two wizards and two witches. In North America, we have Ilvermony which is located in Massachusetts," she turned to Stefan. "Didn't I tell you about my other friend who was a graduate from Ilvermony?"

"You mean the guy who used his wand to cast some funny spell that made my head inflate like a balloon?" The handsome vampire said testily. "He was a former...Puk-something."

"Pukwudgie," the beautiful vampire corrected with a laugh. "It's one of the Houses. Myrtle and Azure are third-years. You are in Slytherin, right?" She half-asked to Azure who shrugged. "And you Myrtle are..."

"Ravenclaw," the petite finished, a proud look adorning her face. "The House of the very smart people."

Azure let out a derisive chuckle. "Not always. Your Housemate Hornby is the stereotypical pretty but dumb blonde. I mean no offence to the lovely blonde lady." She put her arms up in a defensive gesture as an amused Lexi shrugged, obviously not the least angry. Azure then casually draped one of her arms around Myrtle's shoulders who blushed at the sudden gesture. "But if there is someone smart, it's Twin-tails here! She is one of the best students of our year. Better than the Pure-blood twits."

The colour of Myrtle's face now positively resembled a tomato's.

"Slytherin and Ravenclaw?" Stefan chuckled good-naturedly. "Very original names."

"Blame it on our dear Founders," Azure supplied with a dramatic sigh. "Each House is named after their surnames: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. If you find the names funny, wait until you hear the motto."

Stefan's eyebrows rose to his forehead. "There's a motto?" 

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus," Myrtle recited before giving Azure a dry look that made the Slytherin swiftly remove the offending limb from her shoulder.

"Never tickle a sleeping dragon?" His voice was a mix of amusement and incredulity. "How did they come up with that? I mean, a dragon, an honest to God dragon?"

"It was the Middle Ages; dragons, quests and knights were a typical theme in literature, so...perhaps there was a quest?" Lexi offered. "I suppose that judging by the Founders' personalities that in a way influenced their choice of traits for future students, the bravest of them decided to slay a dragon to save a damsel in distress?"

"Whatever it was, the books failed to record," Myrtle said as Azure shrugged.

"Figures."

"I bet that Slytherin guy must have opposed to it in the first place, with a name like that," Stefan chimed in, taking a sip of his bourbon. "Slytherin...reminds me of a snake, always slithering around places."

"Correct. Salazar Slytherin, the Founder of Slytherin House where the cunning, ambitious and resourceful may prosper," Azure said wryly before clicking her tongue. "The emblem is a snake and the colours are emerald and silver. Nowadays, it is just a bunch of bullies and prejudicial twits who mistreat their fellow students because they are not Pure-bloods or poor."

"Present company not included," Myrtle added with a knowing sideways-glance that her friend returned with a cheeky smile. Despite being from an old family, Azure despised the magical society's blood prejudice, albeit she usually made her point across by causing bodily harm and getting detention in the process. "Azure's targets are usually those Pure-bloods."

"Trust me; they had it all coming," Azure replied with a hint of viciousness in her voice. "Bigotry is damaging our society. If I can do something about it, it's worth the trouble, Myrtle."

"Cunning, ambitious and resourceful...oh God, there is an entire House full of Damons in Scotland," Lexi mock-exasperated before sending a warning glance at Stefan. "You did not hear this from me."

"My lips are sealed," he told her, the corners of his lips twitching briefly. "But what are exactly Pure-bloods?"

"Wizards and witches born into very old magical families," Lexi replied easily. "When a wizard or witch marries a Muggle, their child is called a Half-blood. The term Half-bloods also includes those born from a Pure-blood and a Half-blood wizard or witch. However, sometimes, wizarding couples produce children who do not possess magic. Their name is Wizard-borns and they are generally cast away from society."

"We wizards do love our labels," her friend intervened with a self-deprecating smile. "Most Pure-bloods believe the non-magical world to be nothing more than a land of savages." She let out a snort. "They don't see how savages themselves can be...especially when the target is a wizard or witch with so-called 'dirty blood'."

Yes and the worst thing is when they pretend we don't exist, Myrtle privately agreed, a grim look passing her visage as memories of her first year flashed through her head.

Please Review!