Chapter Sixteen: Soulmates and Fates

A/N: This chapter is a bit peculiar and contains some foreshadowing. It also shows us a different point of view. For those who are not familiarized with the "Fates", they are three mythological sisters that oversee the fates that befall each human being. They are also acquainted with the Grim Reaper Dispatch and the Reapers who are "always busy with work".

The Fates are three, each associated with one phase of our life. Clothos is the youngest, Lachesis is the middle one and Atropos is the eldest. They have plenty of sisters and brothers, one of them being the secretive Hecate, the Goddess of Magic and other things xD. Their clothes are Ancient-Greek inspired: there is the himation (a sort of a cloak that is worn over the tunic) and peplos, a tunic that was the standard outfit for women).

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, Kuroshitsuji, Sinbad or the mythological characters that appear here. Though, their role in this story and personality is solely my creation.

In a different plane of reality, three female figures watched over the pair of young witches through a basin full of water. Their Souls were glowing bright, the closeness creating a special melody that could only be heard by certain beings.

"The new Soulkeeper...is so young. Too young," the first commented softly. She was the youngest-looking of the trio and her himation was pale pink. Her hands were spinning a golden thread from a distaff onto a spindle.

"Younger than those of the last millennia," the second agreed, her fingers holding a rod that measured the spun thread's length. She was wearing a deep green peplos. "However, no Soulkeeper has met their Soulmate."

"Just for a curt time," the first finished, her blue eyes mournful.

"The Fate of this one's Soulmate has been decided. Less than one year remains," the third warned, arms folded over her chest. Her voice was akin to an old woman's. A pair of golden shears floated at her side. Clad in a long tunic whose colour could be confused with black, she was the only one wearing a dark hood that hid half of her face. "It is unprecedented." Her eyes narrowed under the hood. "An Aura Seer as a Soulkeeper? What was our sister thinking?"

"She must have her reasons, Atropos," the first said to the other in a placating tone. "I can sense this young human means her thanks to us. She is...how do humans say...ah, one of a kind."

"She is not only a future Soulkeeper," declared an imperious voice from behind the trio, surprising them. It belonged to a woman with brown hair and white tips. She was in her twenties and wore a deep red robe. A pair of snakes was curling around her arms, giving the impression of long bracelets. She also had a tiara with a crescent moon. "Hello, Sisters of mine."

"Hecate," Lachesis addressed curtly as their sister joined them, a burning torch floating by her side. "For one thousand years, you have been keeping something from us concerning this human's bloodline...something that not even Apollo could himself discern. Only that Priestess of yours' progeny is aware."

"Why? As Fates, we must know," Atropos said while sending an accusing look at the solemn Hecate. "An Aura Seer cannot be a Soulkeeper; the length of their lifespans is exactly the opposite from the other."

"This one is a special case, for she is of the same blood as her champion," Hecate explained vaguely, despite the stronger inflexion when she said "her" making the trio exchange a grim nod amongst themselves. "Amintha's granddaughter Electra Tranquilflow foresaw a second outcome to that prophecy, should the Heiress fail in her Soulkeeper duties. And of course, there is Arista's last dream before she joined her predecessors in the Elysian Fields." Her voice became deeper and, for a brief moment, the flames surrounding the basin flickered due to her Elemental Magic. "Both are tremendously unsettling. The balance shall be lost."