Chapter 19: The Reckoning

A/N: Hello my dear readers! Hope you're enjoying the story so far, just a heads up they'll be a time skip next chapter and more characters added. I hope you enjoy and thanks for reading! 🤗😋

©Bleach and its characters belong to Tite Kubo and Shounen Jump. Only Anna, Makoto, Leia and the Fujiwara family belong to me.

Chapter 19: The Reckoning

The circumstances of Kakyo Tsunayashiro's death were anything but mysterious.

Kaname wasn't even able to move when they told him. He didn't want to believe it, the weight of it was so wide he fainted and woke up the next day.

It took him hours to finally get to Sereitei. Just when he was arriving he stumbled upon Anna.

"Thank heavens I found you!" From the raspy tone of her voice, he could tell she'd been crying. Anna hugged him tightly, and he returned the gesture.

"How did it happen?"

He heard her swallow hard before answering. "Murder. Tokinada Tsunayashiro, slit her neck during a dispute. When I came across the room  she wasn't there, only a blood splatter on the wall."

He didn't want to believe it. His entire body was aching, he couldn't even cry. His best friend was slaughtered by the man she loved, all while trying to bring justice to the world.

"...What did they do to him?"

Anna sighed. "Nothing. He's the head of one of the four noble clans. They'll likely cover up the charges by saying Kakyo and any other victims were traitors."

The rage built up inside him at an alarming speed. Still, he knew there was not much he could do.

Anna must've noticed the change. She tried running her hand through his hair in an effort to calm him. "I'm sorry Kaname, but its the head of a clan against a Rukon woman, who do you think they'll give justice to?"

"To the one with the gold." He had heard that say so many times back at the district, it was probably the reason Kakyo set out to change things.

Despite Anna's warnings, he persisted. Every single day, he tried to get an audience with the Central 46 but no matter how calm or angered he was they wouldn't grant him one.

It had been a week when the guards had barred him from even coming near the judicial assistance offices.

Rain began to pour again. Defeated yet again Kaname was preparing to leave. Until there was a presence in the area that made him hold back.

"So this is the one who's been calling for my head."

The voice was venomous, like a snake. He knew just who was speaking.

"You killed her! That woman loved you and you killed her as if she was nothing!"

"What does it matter to you? She was just a woman who didn't know her place."

All reason had gone out the window, he lunged towards the man with all of his rage. He only managed to get a punch in before he was stabbed.

The throbbing pain in his chest got worse, Kaname was feeling himself blacking out.

"Seems like I'll have to teach you your place too."

The final blow did not come, somebody with greater power had subdued the man. He wasn't awake to witness what happened next.

***
"Is he dead?" A male voice asked.

"He'll live. If you hadn't brought him when you did he would be dead." Anna answered. "I think he's walking up. Kaname-kun? Can you hear me?"