Chapter 1:The Arrival

I picture this story as an animated movie/mini-series. The cast I have chosen for this story, I am choosing them because I think their voices would fit the parts. 

________________________________________________________________________________

If one was to read any newspapers from the Kingdom of Eldoria, the top story was that  Marco, The King of Eldori, was sick and on his death bed. The other, was that Prince Alkanos, the King's only child, was returning home, from his studies with the Dragons.

It was noon, even though it was summer, the sky was grey with clouds that were thick and low, threatening to rain. The wind was beginning to pick up, causing a high pitched moaning sound if you were in the right place of the palace at the right time.

"Seems like an omen." Cordelia said, pulling her thin white dress sleeves closer to her arms. She crossed her arms under her chest. Cordelia was of middling height, with long voluminous blond hair and seafoam green eyes.

She had just came from the king's bedchambers where she had been playing the lute for the past few hours. The soft music seemed to put his mind at ease.

Her slippered feet quietly padded on the smooth stone floor. She stopped in front of a stained glass window, which showed a scene from the story of how the Pax Draconis (the peace of dragons) came to be. The orange from the dragon and the blue of the Good King's armor bathed the section in the pale light.

Cordelia always thought the scene was slightly skewed to making the King Marco more handsome than he had been during the peace talks.  He was shown with shaggy, dirty blond hair, and was clean-shaven. In the window, Marco emanated some sort of divine providence. Everyone knew once the king could grow a beard, he always wore one, it was just always worn close and meticulously shaped.

She sighed, the same King who forged a peace between the humans and the Dragons, was now dying. The King was dying from something that not even his personal healers could cure. The healers were still scratching their heads trying to puzzle it out. Lost in thought, Cordelia wasn't looking out when she turned around, colliding into Volsair, the Captain of the King's guard, and Eldoria's Champion.

Cordelia and Volsair knew each other from their work as Champion and Court Bard. Volsair loved Cordelia's songs she sung and stories she told. On occasion, they went to a tavern, for a few drinks, with other servants for a night on the town. Cordelia hadn't missed watching a tournament, where Volsair would display his skill with weaponry and with horses. But alas, they were more than acquaintances but less than friends.

Volsair wore light armor.  Volsair removed his helmet, his black curls falling into place. "I'm sorry. I didn't see you there. May I make a request for tonight's story?" He asked, his voice pleasantly deep sounding, like rain falling on the tiles of the palace balcony.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. What's the request?" Cordelia said. She couldn't help but notice his expressive brown eyes.

The side of Volsair's lips quirked up into a lop-sided smile, only for a moment. "I suggest the story of the Legendary Archer, Who Shot Down the Multiple Suns."

 "That's a good story," Cordelia replied, sitting a hand on the pedestal closest to her. The stone felt cool to her skin. "I'm fine with your suggestions, but why tonight?"

"Because, I'm not going to be here tonight to hear the, On-Going Saga of the Woman That Had Her Execution Delayed by Storytelling," Volsair explained, "Also, the King wants me to deliver messages to the providences after his son arrives."

Cordelia's eyebrows raised slightly, "Oh. What about the Royal Couriers?"

Volsair gestured for her to lean in. When she did, he whispered in her ear. "King Marco suspects treachery. He trusts only me to deliver the messages. Also, if I get brushed off, they risk the wrath of the King," Then he stepped back. "That, and I don't want to miss the continuation of the story, and the inevitable cliff hanger." he said, with a grin.