Chapter 28 - The Undersea Kingdom

The Undersea city was the ruins of an island city. The island had sunk into the sea from a tsunami centuries before. The water in the city was warmer than it had been on the swim out.

As far as Volsair could tell, every nation from around the world was represented.  Merfolk's skin tones varied as widely as humans did. Wow, I guess the ocean affects us all, He thought as he swam past exceptionally hearty coral, that had been cultivated into a shrubbery. Now to find Cordelia.

Volsair continued to explore the city. As he explored he saw volcanic vents throughout the city. Most of the vents were used by street food vendors, to cook fish, on a stick, the size of Volsair's thumb.

I guess I could ask if anybody's seen her? I don't have a picture, so I'll have to describe her. He thought, looking up at the watery sky. He couldn't tell what time of day it was, but he did know it was about mid-morning when he had left the shore. I better hurry. Stormbringer may have headed for home by now.

***

When he found Cordelia, it was hours later.

Cordelia was in the ruins of a museum, that was showcasing art that had been salvaged from sunken ships. She was admiring a painting that showed a field of wildflowers. The paint was swollen and cracked, but it seemed to add to its beauty.

Cordelia's back was turned to him. Her hair was down with multi-colored shells woven in.

Volsair felt his heart pound against his ribs. He took a deep breath and swam up behind her as close as he could until there was a foot between them.

"Excuse me. Um... Would you please explain this painting to me? The meaning is lost on me  so far." He said.

***

Cordelia had been looking at the painting, lost in thought, remembering how it was on land.I really should start planning to head back soon. I promised them. She thought. The voice she heard, interrupted her concentration.

"Uh," She blinked. " The painting is a landscape. It's a field of wildflowers. It's one of the things that's on the surface..." Her voice trailed off and she turned around.

" Vol-, " she started. Her mind whirled. He was supposed to be back at the palace. How did he get a tail? "Sair." She finished.

"The one and only," Volsair smiled "I haven't seen you in over a month. May I please have a hug? "

Cordelia practically threw herself into his chest. Her arms wrapped around his neck. She felt his arms slip around her waist, pulling her close to him.

***

Cordelia felt warm against his chest. Volsair pulled her closer to him, feeling their tails intertwine.

She kissed his face then his lips. Her lips felt as smooth as the first time they had kissed. He kissed back matching her ferocity.

If this is a dream, don't anybody dare try to wake me. He thought.

When they parted for breath, he couldn't help but smile from ear to ear.

He felt her hairbrush his arms.

***

Cordelia raised a hand and lightly stroked his cheek with her fingertips. His skin felt like silk. Her fingertips traced his jawline. "I missed you." She whispered, tracing the edges of his lips. Then she kissed him again.

***

Volsair kissed her back. But quickly they had to part. He had remembered they were in the middle of a museum, and that they were on a deadline!