Chapter 3: Escape By Night

But, when alleged evil is on the prowl, little ears are what stands between anarchy, tyranny and a full bowl of food. And when the little ears belong to the four-legged, highly intelligent kind, the only thing standing between them and justice, is opposable thumbs.

According to the main water clock, it was about two in the morning. Except for a few guards, the palace was quiet, but not all were asleep. The royal mousers were wide awake.

"Honey. We've already done this corridor." The Tortoiseshell female cat complained in a low mew. She was pear-shaped with a small notch in the tip of her left ear, she had one green-yellow eye and the other was yellow-green.

"I know Kaypi, but something doesn't feel right." The male calico cat said. He was reed-thin and had a tendency to look like he was on the lookout for someone to pet him, with a look from his piercing pale, (almost white) blue eyes.

"Do you think the palace might be broken in tonight?" Kaypi asked.

"I dunno." Hinri said peeking around the corner of the connecting corridor, he saw nothing so they continued on. Their eyes lamp like in the flickering torchlight.

They heard a quietly closeing. Good luck trying to get past the royal mousers, with their acute hearing.

Kaypi turned to her mate "Wonder what that was about. Isn't that the door to Prince Martin's rooms?"

"I believe so." Hinri said, padding to the iron banded door, he crouched down, listening intently through the crack under the door.

Kaypi followed suit.

There were two voices speaking. The feline duo could tell who was speaking.

"It's Prince Martin and the Court Magician." Hinri breathed.

"Quiet, I can't hear with your constant meowing." Kaypi whispered back.

"Oh alright, I'll help you take your nephew out of the picture." Said the Court Magician, who the cats hadn't bothered to learn his name. He didn't speak often to the cats, so why bother?

"How do you plan on doing that?" Martin asked.

"Could fire an arrow at him when he would least expect it?" The Court Magician suggested.

"Too brazen. You could use your magic."

"Everyone will find out that magic was used."

"Could poison him."

"Could. But would need something to mimic sickness, to avoid suspicion. It's been done before."

"They're conspiring to assassinate the Prince!" Kaypi gasped with a paw to her mouth. "We've gotta tell somebody."

"Who would believe us, we're animals remember?" Hinri asked.

Kaypi tapped her tail thoughtfully against the flagstones. "Who do we know would believe us?" she muttered, then exclaimed "Oh! Cordelia. I'll tell her!"

"I'll stay here and see if I can find out more." Hinri arched his back with a yawn.

Kaypi licked Hinri's cheek with her tongue, then took off running in a multi-colored blur. Hinri slunk off to the edge of the doorway, so he could be out of the way and see who came out of the room.

Kaypi sprinted down the hallway, her nails clicking on the flagstones. "Meow! Mow! Mow!" she yelled passing the night watch. Turning a corner too quickly, she came close to fishtailing into a wall, but she made the turn in time and kept running. Kaypi ran to Cordelia's door without stopping.

Cordelia's door was closed and locked. Kaypi caught her breath, then stood on her hind legs, and threw her fore-paws into the door with her twelve pounds of weight behind her. "Cordelia!" she called throwing her fore-paws against the door again. "Cordelia!"