Chapter 23: To The Gates of Death and Back

Volsair noticed the change first, it was the King's eyes that gave it away. What the Blazes is that?!  he thought, gripping his sword.

As black ringed around the color portion of the King's eyes widened, Volsair remembered seeing something like this during the Dragon Wars. The Fae would enchant certain fighters, and point them towards the Dragons, and well, the fighters would literally go berserk. A lot of times, the fighter didn't survive the fight with the Dragons, unless they caught them while in human form.

King Martin charged, throwing his weight into his swing.

Volsair shoved Cordelia back, saying, "We need magical support. Take out the magician. We'll cover you"

Alkanos blocked the King's initial swing, but Volsair had to block the back swing.

Cordlia played a fast short song on her ocarina. When she finished, a golden light surrounded her, Alkanos, and Volsair, shielding them.

***

Alkanos honestly felt like he was going to throw up, he was that nervous. But those feelings seemed to flee when he began to fight for his life and for the lives of his friends.

Every time, he thought his uncle would stop attacking, there was another attack. Cordelia's Song of Shielding had helped, but it still felt like he was fending off blows from a hammer. The shield's golden glow flickered with each blow.

Alkanos swiped out.

Volsair brought his sword down in a double handed arc.

The King stepped back avoiding Alkanos. Raising his sword it met Volsair's blade. The metal on metal sound rang across the throne room.

Volsair pushed against The King's sword, forcing it down. "You will step down." Volsair growled, emphasizing every word. His face was calm, even though his voice was tense.

"Try me, traitor." The King snarled back, like a rabid ferret. He spun his sword, disengaging from Volsair, and pushed the attack on Alkanos. "Your head is mine, boy." he said, attacking in a flurry of movement.

Alkanos was forced back, blocking or stepping out of the way. But no matter where he stood, he was always in strike range.

Out of nowhere flew an orange and yellow fireball, crashing into the flagstones between them.

Alkanos leaped back in shock avoiding the heat of the flames.

***

 Cordelia stood her ground against the Magician, her fingers flying on her ocarina, piping out as many enchantments as she could. I've gotta break that Berserker spell. she thought, as she missed a note.

That was the opening the Magician needed to fire off the fireball. The blast was the size of a melon and literally burned up the distance between them.

Cordelia dove aside, rolling to her feet, when she hit the floor. She felt the heat of the flames as it passed. She stopped playing for a moment, just long enough to see Volsair and Alkanos avoid the blast.

Cordelia growled, her teeth began to elongate and sharpen. Yes, Volsair was safe with his shield ring, but Alkanos was still unprotected. Cordelia decided against singing or scream singing, it might distract Volsair and Alkanos, leaving them open to an attack. She was watching their backs, it would be stupid to distract them.

Harmony of Healing. Let's try that. Cordelia thought, skirting to the side, drawing the Magician's fire. It might counter balance the Berserker spell.