Chapter 29 - If You Know Where To Look

Volsair, Cordelia, and Thea left early that morning, after a hot breakfast with enough protein to keep them going until luncheon.

Cordelia rode Stormbringer, her arms around Volsair's waist, her gloved hands clasped.

Their clothes had dried overnight, they now wore fur-lined coats for this ride.

Thea wore her braided hair up in a loose bun. Her clothes were those a Lady would wear on a long, cold ride and would still be warm. She led her red dun mare, with the poise of an accomplished rider.

"About how long will it take us to get to The Capital?" She asked.

"We should be there around mid-day. As long as there's no ice on the road." Volsair replied.

***

As planned, they arrived at The Capital just after mid-day. Even though it was still cold, the city was busy with the hustle and bustle of commerce.

Once they were at the gates, Volsair announced who they were and the guards let them through the gates.

***

When Alkanos received word that they had returned, he went to meet them. He found them at the entrance hall, coming away from the stables.

"Prince Alkanos," Cordelia said when she first saw him. She was smiling.

"Cordelia!" Alkanos said, hugging her briefly. " It's so good to see you," he turned to Thea. " And you must be Thea. I've heard a lot about you, from the Artisan Guild,  especially about your skill. "

" I'm flattered, your highness." Thea said with a curtsy.

" Oh, dear." Volsair muttered.

"Um... Thea, you don't have to do that, when it's just this group. I mean seriously. Just call me Alkanos. " He said.

Thea recovered from her curtsy. "Yes, P-" she stopped herself. "Alkanos."

"Don't worry. It took me a week or so for me to remember." Cordelia said.

"Before I forget. If we are in public, or in front of the other staff, please use my title." Alkanos said.

" I'm also here to apply for making your sculpture." Thea said.

" You probably need some rest before you show me some samples of your work." Alkanos said.

"I would like to." Thea replied.

"Would anybody like some tea or something? If anything so we won't be blocking the corridor." Alkanos offered.

"I would like some tea," Cordelia said, adjusting her scarf. "Volsair?"

"I'll have some." Volsair said, running a hand over the back of his neck.

"You know what? I will too." Thea said.

***

As he said he would, Alkanos viewed Thea's artwork. The mediums ranged from sketches, she had made in a leather-bound book, to small prints of other works.

To be fair, Alkanos made comments on a piece of parchment in a folder for future reference.

Finally, he said, "You are a highly skilled Artisan. I will let you know my decision after the deadline."