Chapter 21: To Bring Down A King

The talks of deposing King Martin were picked up again two days later. The topic at hand was discussed late into the night, but this time, Imelda and Cordelia decided to attend.

They met in a different meeting room, this table was round, crystal chandelier lit with candles, illuminated the room. The floor was covered with an ornately embroidered rug. Two maps lay on the table, one of the kingdoms, and the other a map of the palace.

Various ideas were posed on how to accomplish this, but each idea had obvious flaws. Ideas such as, going through the sewer, that idea was being unsanitary and it would be expected.

Another idea, was to fly in on Dragon back under the cover of darkness, break into the king's bedroom and hold him at sword point, which was another idea. This idea was knocked out because Martin would be too paranoid and archers could bring them down before they landed.

"I fear to have an army attack the city as a diversion," Volsair said, crossing his arms over his chest, "This may cause citizens to think the Dragons broke the Pax Draconis, and this was an invasion."c

"I agree," Alkanos said, pouring himself another cup of tea. Servants had been barred from being in the room during the meeting, considering what happened last time. "I don't want to face a nation calling for war and my head, while I'm trying to take the throne."

"Volsair, are you still on good terms with Martin?" Cordelia asked.

Everyone's gaze snapped to Volsair.

"Cordelia..."Volsair said shifting from foot to foot, "Please, explain."

"Don't worry, he's on our side, but as far as we know, Martin still thinks he's on his side. So, we use this to our advantage." Cordelia said, holding up her ring. Its twin, laying on Volsair's chest. The rings glittered in the candlelight.

"What would you propose?" Imelda asked.

"We go in through the front door," Cordelia replied. She paused for dramatic effect, yep, here comes storytime with Cordelia. "Imagine, the conquering hero, bringing in the two enemies of the state. Ready to turn them into the king," she stood up, "But, the hero is on our side, so we spend, like, ten minutes in lock up, we get broke out, and depose the king."

"I like the idea," Imelda said, nodding her head, "It cuts down on the chance of people thinking we are invading. And the chances of unnecessary bloodshed is reduced. What do you think brother?"

The Dragon King took a long sip of tea, he lowered the cup from his lips and said, "I'll have to agree with you on this one. They will have to do this, since we are a foreign nation, trying to depose a ruler. I too wish to avoid bloodshed as much as possible."

Then the Fae Queen spoke, she had been quiet this whole time, only observing. "The Court Magician is one of the Fae. So, if you are successful in your coup, I request that the Court Magician is returned to the Fae realms to stand trial." Even in the dim candlelight, the Fae Queen was still a radiant beauty, her hair that of spun starlight.

Everyone turned to Alkanos.

"I don't see why not," Alkanos shrugged. "I mean, if he was sent to prison, he's immortal. So...generations could pass without anything happening."

"Well, just to let you know, he is facing pretty steep charges. Even in the Fae Realm. Oh! And Champion Volsair, thank you for returning the orb of Kat'ch'leah."

"You're welcome, your highness." Volsair replied.

."You returned it?" Cordelia whispered.

"Yeah, back in the first conclave we had," Volsair whispered back. Then he said in a normal voice, "But, as I said before ma'am. We obtained the orb by working together. Otherwise, we would have died at least fifteen times, before Alkanos met up with us."