Chapter 30 - Amazing Who You'll Meet In The Crypts

The crypts were hewn out of the side of the closest hill. A white marble mausoleum protected the entrance to the crypts. Inside was moderately warm throughout the year. Even though Cordelia and Alkanos had worn coats and gloves to the crypts, they had to leave them in the mausoleum. 

"So where is he buried anyways?" Alkanos asked as they stood in the crypt's entrance chamber.  The chamber had an impressive vaulted ceiling that was supported by pillars that lined the chamber. 

"Should be towards the back," Cordelia walked to the stone effigy of King Marco. She circled it, looking for a location placard. Seeing none she said, "Best get a torch, looks like we're gonna  have to search for him."

Alkanos took an unlit torch from its bracket and lit it with a gentle stream of fire. "Let's get started then. I don't want to be exploring here after dark."

***

An hour or so had passed of exploring the labyrinth-like crypts. The only way they could tell one room from another was the ceilings, they ranged from as high as fifteen feet to as low as seven feet. 

When they finally found King Marco's tomb, it was as Cordelia had said.

They could tell the tomb had been a recent addition, because of the arch supporting the entryway. The ceiling was of middling height and looked newly hollowed out.

"This is it." Alkanos breathed, stepping into the chamber.

In the middle of the room was a stone pedestal, atop it, King Marco lay in a coffin, made of stone and glass.

He serenely held his sword's pommel, and shield, as if standing guard against the waves of time.

Alkanos felt an invisible blow to his stomach. The last time he had seen his father, it was right before he had died.

All that wasted time. Alkanos thought, wondering how things could have gone if his mother had lived.

"What is the ring supposed to do? Or did I miss something that was read out." Cordelia asked, pulling her scarf closer.

" According to another hidden message, it's supposed to act as a power booster when used with The Sword and the crown. I'm hoping it will help us bring in The Magician." Alkanos explained, running his fingers over the edge of the coffin's lid.

"I'm gonna need your help moving the lid. I'm strong enough, but I may drop it." Alkanos said.

" Sure thing," Cordelia replied, sitting the torch in an empty torch bracket.

She took hold of the other end of the lid, and on the count of three, they lifted and slid the lid out of the way.

Alkanos then began to examine what his father had been buried with.

The Sword would have been no use to Alkanos, nor the crown. Both were replicas of what was now Alkanos's, they were there to deter possible grave robbers.

The signate ring, he wore, was also a remake. The original was in a museum, that was dedicated to the history of the Royal family.

The other ring was the one they were looking for. It was similar to the crown in appearance. A silver band with a set in sapphire, that matched the crown. Alkanos knew it was real because the sapphire had an inner fire that, that could withstand the test of time.