Chapter 32: The Sinking City

Trigger warning for an explosion resulting in hearing loss. And for a being taken captive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So that's what happened?" Thea asked, looking away from the marble to her brother. 

"Something like that." Volsair replied he sat on a wooden crate. 

"I actually don't blame her for reacting like that," She slid a hand over the preliminary cut marble. She wore a dress the color of saffron that fell midway of her calf. Around her waist was her Artisan Guild belt, signifying her standing in the guild.  "And no, it's not because we're both females. It's just that from what you've told me, she thought she was protected when y'all deposed Martin."

The beads in Thea's hair clicked softly, as she picked up a tool, to begin smoothing the marble's sharp corners. "In her eyes, in hindsight, she would have taken unnecessary risks thinking that she would it would have been alright."

"I know that. I just didn't know how to tell her."

"Well," There was a pause. The only sounds in the room were the marble being smoothed. "As soon as you found the ring had been lost, would have been a good time. "

"Do you think she'll ever want to speak to me again? We haven't spoken in days. And the palace cats have taken her side!"

Thea sighed. "She just needs some time. Can't say if she'll take you back or not, but she may speak and not screech at you."

***

Alkanos sat in a study, pouring over reports that had come in concerning The Magician.

After a bit, he rested his face in his palms. His temples felt tight, and it was spreading throughout his head.

"Hey dad, got a question for you." He finally said aloud, since he was alone.

"Ask away." Marco replied, appearing beside the table.

"How did Cordelia know what we should have gone looking for. You know, back at the beginning of all this?"

"When I suspected something was causing me to be sick, I made arrangements with The Dragon Ambassador and with The Dragon King, to hide The Sword, until you were ready," he explained "As for Cordelia. She was in the room playing music at the time. I allowed her to stay in the room because I knew she would remember it,  and she was loyal to me. Like you, I trusted her with my life."

It all made sense to Alkanos now. When she had met him in the corridor, she really had meant it when she showed him respect. It was just the cream on the dessert that it had irritated Martin at the same time.

He couldn't help but smile.

"Now, if only I could get her and Volsair to work together again."

"Have you tried having them attend a teamwork seminar?"

***

In the weeks that followed, Cordelia and Volsair went out of their way to avoid each other.

Sometimes going as far as walking out the same room if the other was in it. Whenever they were in close proximity to each other, the air would shift as if they were about to have an argument.