Chapter 5: Obtaining Supplies

It was late evening when they reached the road.  The road through the forest was a hardened dirt path that was just wide enough for an oxen cart to use. The road was used enough, that ruts had developed from the cartwheels. Though not enough use that you had to worry about tripping over exposed roots.

Soon enough, they met a fellow traveler. They heard him before they saw him, they heard the clinking of bells and the squealing groan of the wagon wheels. Then Alkanos could smell the cargo of fresh aromatic smells, of foreign and hard to obtain spices. The wonderful smells of cardamom, cinnamon, saffron, turmeric, cloves, and vanilla.

"A peddler," Alkanos said, "Let's get supplies."

Cordelia stayed close to Alkanos, ready to draw a knife at a moment's notice.

The Peddler slowed the ox to a stop. "Oh! Customers." The Peddler said. He spoke with an accent of a faraway land. The Peddler was of late middle years. He had dark hair  that curled, a short beard, and a nice smile.

The Peddler,  wore clothes that would make you think he had little money. Until you noticed they were tailored and well maintained. His shirt and pants, were yellow like sand. He wore a ring on his right hand that protected him from Mind Magic. The gem was purple and green.

"Gather around. I have wares you won't find anywhere else." He said, clambering over the seat to untie the storefront half of the cart.

A wooden wall of the cart fell forward, changing into a store counter. "How about a hair comb for the lovely lady? Real Rubies, low price, can't be beaten."

Alkanos's eyes widened. "What's that?" He asked, looking at the bottle that sat next to a rolled up emborderied carpet.

"Ah, this is an item of wonder," The Peddler said picking it up to show the travelers. "This may look like a bottle, but it is a magical lamp. For inside, a magical Genie slept. That could grant the owner of the lamp, three perfect wishes. The previous owner passed away. And no one has made a wish ever since. But who knows? The two of you may need the help of a Genie some day."

"I'm sorry sir. But that won't be necessary," Cordelia said, "We need supplies."

Alkanos didn't say anything, but Cordelia could tell he had been interested in buying the lamp.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to blow all the money on an 'allegedly' magic lamp. Cordelia thought, deciding on explaining to Alkanos her decision at a later time.

"I have just what you need," The Peddler said, putting the bottle up. He reached under the counter and pulled out two packs. "These packs contain everything an adventurer would ever want. All for the low, low, price of-" he paused dramatically, "Five hundred silver, and I will throw in a mirror that can tell the future."

"Can we afford that?" Alkanos whispered to Cordelia.

"We can. I wonder if the mirror can really tell the future." Cordelia murmured.

The Peddler must have heard her, "The mirror will reveal the identity of your future husband." he said, sweetening the pot.

Even though Cordelia wasn't human, she had spent enough time around humans to have picked up mannerisms. "We'll take them." Cordelia said fishing out her wallet, she heard it sob in anguish as she removed the silver coins. The silver coins were engraved with the image of the first queen of Eldoria.

"Thank you kindly." The Peddler said taking the silver coins and putting them in a safe place under the counter. He pulled out the mirror, it was a silver hand mirror with dark green filigree.

"To see your future husband...you will need to do this in the total dark, while you hold the mirror, and say 'Show him to me.' and your future husband will appear in the mirror." The Peddler explained, wrapping the mirror up in a cloth. He then passed the package to Cordelia as Alkanos shouldered his pack.