Chapter 18: The Dragon King

Oh. How do I get myself into these things?  Cordelia thought, tying her scarf around her waist. She sneaked across the corridor to a suit of armor.

Examining it from behind, she saw that the armor wasn't secured to the wall, and would be able to tip over. She looked over at Alkanos and Volsair, and gave them the ready signal. She then took a few cleansing breaths, and shoved the suit of armor.

The armor crashed to the marble flagstones, with a loud Clang!  The crash may have been heard outside the mountain.

Cordelia flinched from the noise. She knew it was going to be big, but she wasn't expecting that  big.

The guards turned in her direction. 

Cordelia stepped out into the corridor, and declared, "Oi! You ready to move or not?" Her voice carried though out  the corridor. Then for effect, she kicked a gauntlet, her sturdy boot, protecting her.

The guards ran for her, ready to take her back into custody.

"WHY DID I LET YOU TALK ME INTO THIS?!" Cordelia yelled, turning on her heel and taking off down the corridor. She ran like the Devil's Mother-in-law was after her, with a rolling pin. Cordelia ran down the corridors. She stayed just ahead of the guards to keep their interest, but running too fast be caught.

Cordelia took any turn she could, but always seemed to run back up the exact same corridor. The hallways were too similarly decorated. When it came to running up, and eventually down staircases, Cordelia took the steps two at a time. It surprised her, she hadn't slipped down once.

"Y'all just a bunch, of flightless, fireless- " Cordelia turned sharply, down a different corridor. This hall was decorated with intricately woven tapestries, and small statues on molted granite pedestals. "Hatchlings! " she said with a look of triumph, her boots pounded on the shined marble flagstones.

The guards called after her while in hot pursuit. Cordelia kept running, beginning to get a stitch in her side. Here breath was coming out in gasps. This would be much easier if I was underwater.  She thought, taking another turn down another corridor.

There was a problem, a major problem, this corridor was familiar. So familiar in fact, that it seemed to be the exact same one she had started from! Cordelia didn't mean to, but she slowed her pace, without knowing it.

Before she could speed up again, the butt of a spear caught her behind the knees. She went sprawling to the floor, her boots squeaking as she went. 

There she was, face on the floor everything hurting from the impact. At least, now I can catch my breath. she thought, lifting her head off the floor, just in time to see the shiny steel spearhead pointed down at her neck.

"Don't move- if you- value your life." A guard said, struggling to catch his breath.

Cordelia could safely guess the other guard's spearhead was at the back of her neck. "Didn't plan to." She sighed, drinking in the coolness of the flagstones against her flushed face.

"Cordelia!" shouted Volsair.

Cordelia mentally swore then thought, Wasn't he supposed to be with The Prince?

"I am Volsair, the Fae Champion of Eldoria, I'm only going to say this once. Please unhand my betrothed." Volsair said, striding forward, his fists on his hips.

Betrothed?! Cordelia thought. Then she saw him fighting the guards that had the spear point to the back of her neck. "Oh yeah!" Cordelia exclaimed, "The rings!"

Cordelia spun around on her stomach, fast enough to land a kick to the back of the guard. The guard yelped in surprise as Cordelia wrenched the spear from his hands. She rolled to her feet, just out of reach. Cordelia jabbed the spear at the guard.