Five - Hoseok appa

Jina, four years old

Hoseok's POV

"Does choosing between two same cans require so much effort?" I asked Jieun who was meticulously choosing between two cans of baked beans, and she hummed in response. "You're weird."

"I know. But I learn from the best." Jieun teased as she gestured with her hand at me.

Chuckling, my eyes then landed on my baby girl who was sitting in the designated seat in the trolley cart, her eyes scanning the aisle we were in, eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"Appa, what's that?" She asked me while tugging the hem of my wool sweater, and I followed her gaze before landing on boxes of chocolates with cartoons printed on them.

I grinned, seeing through what she was trying to do.

Tapping my chin, I leaned down to match her eye level.

"I wonder, do you want them? I can get them for you but eomma would be mad." I pretended to whisper as I pouted, and her eyes widened while gasping.

Placing her tiny hand at the side of her mouth, she whispered back to me. "Eomma can't know then."

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Jieun glancing at us with narrowed eyes, but I feigned ignorance.

"Okay, baby girl. You hide it when I take it for you, alright?" I said, and she giggled while nodding, making my heart melt.

"What are you trying to do, Jung Hoseok?" I heard Jieun walk towards my side, and an audible gasp was heard emerging from Jina's mouth.

"Getting chocolates for myself, what else?" I replied her nonchalantly.

"Oh really? Cause a certain someone among the three of us is definitely not allowed to eat it or else... she won't be able to sleep at night." Jieun turned to glance at Jina who was pretending to inspect glasses of pickles lined neatly on the racks.

Slinging my left arm around Jieun's shoulder, I pulled her closer towards me and threw the box of chocolate into the trolley cart.

"Yah, who told you to put that in!" Jieun scolded while whacking my arm.

"It's for myself, why are you getting so worked up?" I clicked my tongue at her, and she whacked me again. "Yah, who gave you the permission to keep hitting me!"

"You deserved it." Jieun rolled her eyes while pushing the trolley cart out of the aisle we were in, with me taking bigger strides to catch up with them.

We were at the meat section when an elderly who was walking pass us suddenly spoke to me.

"Young man, is she yours?" She questioned me with a wrinkly smile, and I bowed my head to show my respect.

"Yes." I replied while glancing at Jieun who was oblivious about whatever was going on here as once again, she was too busy debating between two similar packaging of meat.

The elderly followed my gaze, and I saw her grin again when her eyes landed on Jieun.

"You have a beautiful family." She chuckled, and I blushed while thanking her.

Just when I thought she was about to walk away, she bent down slightly to look at Jina who was returning her a mixture of confusion and surprised look.

I chuckled when she grabbed my sleeve almost instantly.

"Call halmeoni, Jina-ah." I patted her head, and being the good girl she was, she immediately greeted the older lady, and the latter was delighted.

"Aigoo, you're so cute." She cooed, and I noticed Jieun walking towards us while mouthing something incoherent to me.

"Annyeonghaseyo, halmeoni." Jieun greeted her while bowing a little before scooting towards my side.

My arms instinctively wrapped around her to pull her closer.

"Hello there! I was just telling your husband that you have a beautiful family." She complimented again, and I laughed when Jieun blushed, her cheeks and ears red.

"Thank you, I guess." She answered her with a shy smile.

"Halmeoni," Jina suddenly tapped the lady's hand, making her to divert her attention from us towards her.

"Yes, my dear one?"

Jina giggled before placing her palm over her puckered lips, and after making a kissy sound, she removed her hand and placed it on the lady's cheeks.

The three of us laughed at the child's antics.

"Where did she even learn this from?" Jieun laughed.

"Must be Jin hyung, he and his annoying kisses." I scrunched up my face, not afraid to show my disgusted look.

"I will leave you three alone now, please, do feel free to visit my restaurant that is located opposite this grocery store. I will give you plenty of discount because of this little girl." The elderly was caressing Jina's head as she spoke.

"Goodbye." Both Jieun and I bowed slightly as we waved to her, and finally exhaled in relief when she was no longer here.

"Appa, carry me."

I looked down to see Jina raising her arms high in the air, and I didn't hesitate to take her into my arms.

This baby girl who barely weighed a little was now getting heavier as days passed.

"Yah, let appa rest, you're getting heavier, Jina-ah." Jieun nagged, but Jina whined while burying her face on my neck.

"I want appa to carry me." She pleaded with a whiny voice.

"It's okay, I can carry her." I assured Jieun who was eyeing me skeptically.

"You sure?" She asked with an eyebrow raised.

I nodded in response while adjusting the little girl in my arms.

No matter how heavy she gets, if she wants to be carried, I will carry her.

She was my daughter, and I would do anything to protect her from the outside world.

"Appa." Jina mumbled suddenly as we were checking out at the cashier.

"Yeah?" I leaned my head towards the back slightly to look at her blinking adorably at me.

"I love you, appa." She muttered abruptly before burying her face on my neck again.

My heart was beating faster than it already was at the three little words.

"What did you say? I didn't hear you." I teased, and Jina shot me a disapproving look.

"I'm not going to repeat what I said. Appa, you've hurt me for not paying attention to what I have said." She pouted angrily.

And she definitely took her mother's sassy gene when she did this.

"I was joking, chill." I pinched her chubby cheeks with my free hand before placing it on her back again.

Giving her a peck on the cheek, I smiled when Jina cracked a genuine smile.

"I love you too, baby girl." I caressed her hair that was now waist-length long.

Watching her smile happily; hearing her say the three little words to me, yeah, I would definitely even take a bullet for her if she ever happens to be in danger.

She was the most precious thing in my life now, and would always be.

-

:)