Chapter 9

I could practically see the tension that was swirling around us like a thick blanket of fog. It was enveloping us completely. Luke gulped as our gazes locked in a more heated daze; I could feel the heat building up in my chest. The room felt like it was moving and I see a few drops of sweat finding their way, forming over his eyebrow. My mouth went dry as he licked his lips again, something so sensual and real about it.

I guess my life just officially got turned into a scene out of a movie where everything just happens in slow motion. I could see from the corner of my eyes, a small fly that was flying – in slow motion again – near my closet door. The ceiling fan was rotating as slowly as ever. Luke was blinking his eyes but that too seemed pretty slow to me.

"Caroline!" Augusta called for me again from downstairs, "Your friends Edward and Christian are here!" she says. There was a pause as I heard someone else's voice before she shouted again, this time her voice coated with exasperation which I have heard her use a lot of times when she forgets to do something. "They say their names are Edward Cullen and Christian Grey."

"Edward Cullen?" Luke broke the thick tension that had somehow settled between us, his tone lighter and consumed with confusion. Whatever it is, that had been consuming us seemed to have evaporated into thin air.

"Christian Grey?" I frowned, trying to make a connection between both the names and sadly failing. To me, Christian Grey and Edward Cullen will always be worlds apart from each other.

Please do not mention them both in the same line!

Luke got off me and the bed in an instant, holding his hand out for me to take. His face was composed now, void of any emotions that suggested what just happened a few minutes ago. Managing to wipe off my emotions about the situation too, I took in a deep breath, trying to get my fast thudding heart in control. I didn't hesitate as I grabbed his hand. If he can act as if he didn't almost kiss me, so can I.

He helped me out of my bed and patted my hair, his eyes never leaving my face as he did. Only then did I realize that I probably looked like a cold-blooded monster ready to pounce on its prey. If I go out looking like this, Christian Grey will get all types of kinky ideas about how I will be if I became his submissive, and then I would be forced to ask Edward Cullen to suck off his blood and kill him.

I scoffed mentally. Shaking my head to clear my incongruous thoughts, I groaned running a hand through my hair over and over again. Luke must have found this amusing because he chuckled, earning a well-deserved glare from me. Climbing down the stairs, still mentally grumbling about my hair, I saw Augusta walking rapidly towards me and Luke. Just when I thought that she was going to talk to me, she took a sudden detour and started to speed walk toward the backyard as if there was something very big that she has to do in the backyard.

"Where are my so-called friends?" I asked her as soon as she was about to walk past me, without even noticing Luke and me standing there. It didn't surprise me. I knew firsthand how absentminded Augusta could be.

"Living room," she said hastily and then before I could even get a word in, rushed out from there in the direction of the backyard.

I wonder what got wheels on her heels!

"Come on," Luke poked my shoulder gently from behind me, "Let's go see who it is."

I nodded at him and proceeded to walk to the living room. A small smile graced my lips as I looked at Edward Cullen and Christian Grey sitting comfortably on the couch with Zack sat in between them.

Zack had a lost look on his face as he looked between the boys who were trying to make him smile, but instead were going to make him cry; I was sure about that.