Chapter 53

I stood in the hallway, outside my room, my phone pressed to my ear, "Are you seriously, alright?" I asked my cousin, Ashley, frowning when I heard her giggle again, "You have been giggling a lot since the moment I called you."

It had been more than a year since I last spoke to Ashley. We had fought due to a misunderstanding that we had had over the summer of our sophomore year. But considering that my mom told me this morning about how she had gotten into a car accident recently and has been in hospital for weeks, I decided that the silence that we held between us for no apparent reason had to stop.

I had called her the moment my mom had hung up on me, only to hear her giggling after every single sentence she spoke. It was like she would talk to me a little and then out of nowhere she would start laughing. I first thought that it was the side effects of the drugs that the hospital should have given her, but then I was getting suspicious now because something feels weird to me about her state now.

"I'm fine, Caroline," she said, her voice just a little bit higher than a whisper, "I'm a mess here because I pulled a prank on my dad this morning and the after effects are really funny," she explained and I huffed, rolling my eyes at her.

"I really, really pity Uncle Patrick for having you has his daughter," I told her truthfully, because her pranks have no end at all.

"I know," she giggled again, "I pity him a lot too."

I laughed and opened my mouth to comment something but another voice interrupted me, "Ashley Grayson!" I heard my Uncle yelling from somewhere on the other side of the line, his voice sounding in a distance, "I swear, sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I told your mom that I was ready for a child. I wouldn't have even thought about it if I knew that I was going to be blessed with a devil like you for a daughter."

"Patrick!" another voice interrupted, and it sounded oddly like Liz, their family friend.

"What?" I heard my uncle huff and Ashley's laughter increased, "I asked my wife for a child and look at what she gave me. A she devil, that's what!"

I laughed hard at that, "Oh, my God, Ash! What did you do to him?"

"Nothing, really," she insisted innocently, but I know that she was anything but innocent, far from it actually, "I added something to his coffee this morning because he kept annoying me last night and that upset his stomach. He has been making continuous trips to the toilet ever since," she said, "Seriously, Care! How am I to know it would upset his stomach?"

"Oh, my God!" I laughed again, this time with tears leaking down my eyes.

"Ashley!" I heard Uncle Patrick screeching again, this time closer to her somewhere.

"Oops?" Ashley muttered, but her voice was shaking with mirth, "I have to go, Care or I'm going to end up dead. I'll talk to you later."

I laughed more, shaking my head as I hung up on my favorite cousin. She was fine. She was more than fine actually. Recovering from an accident cannot stop Ashley Grayson from enjoying her life to the fullest even though she was enjoying it by creating misery for her dad like always. I sighed as I went back into my room, closing the door behind me, to continue what I had been doing before I got interrupted by my mom's call.

The summer flew by faster than anyone could blink. I mean, we all blinked a lot of times before the summer ended; it was just a metaphor if you didn't notice. Okay, now I am blabbering and honestly it doesn't even make a lot of sense.

It's just that I'm nervous and I don't know what I am supposed to do now. I'm moving in with my parents and Aaron to our old house and that meant that I will no longer be living with the McCanns and it was kind of difficult to accept. I mean, these people have been everything to me that my family was not for the past two years.