Chapter 43

That night after dinner, my mind and thoughts inside it were all wild chaos. I didn't know what I was thinking, but at the same time I was aware of everything that I was thinking. It was confusing and it was consuming everything about me. To take my mind of everything that was bothering me, I volunteered Ethan and I for a sleepover together.

We were planning on spending the night in the room that he was staying at, considering that it was bigger than the room I was staying in. Ethan had just finished telling me about this one professor in college who seemed to hate his guts. He did everything to made sure that Ethan knew it.

I laughed as Ethan rolled his eyes and smoothly changed the topic. "How's Violet?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Same old, same old. Always thinking about ways to get under my skin.

Nudging his shoulder with mine, he pouted playfully, "Do you ever wonder when that will stop? I mean, you're all practically adults now, do you think Violet will someday behave like one?"

"Hard to say," I said, "She hates me for some reason only best known to her. Will she ever let go of whatever grudge she was holding against me?" I shrugged, before adding, "I don't know."

"I'm sorry," he said, "High school must be this unforgettable time of our lives. I'm sorry, she's tainting that a little for you."

"I think high school will still be a unforgettable time for me," I agreed, "I just hope she'd stop giving me so much crap. My hair is going to grey prematurely because of all the stress that she was loading into my life."

"You're strong, Care. In the end, we always get through things – remember that."

"Yeah," I agreed nodding my head, "Sierra seems to have backed down from my case though, so that seems to be good. I feel like in no time she would've talked some sense into Violet and she'll too stop."

"Sierra?" he scoffed, "What did she do that made you think that?"

I sighed, giving him a look acknowledging his less than friendly voice when talking about my best friend's ex-girlfriend. The moment she pushed me down and broke my arm, I knew that there was no way in hell my brother would ever forgive her, like ever. The time when they found out, they had been furious. I could feel their fury through the phone. It was that bad. All my brothers, though are in different parts of the world, trying to build a life for themselves, were all still very protective of me. Being the only girl child in the family, came with its ups and downs. This one – their protectiveness over me – I have thought of for years, but still can't figure out if it is an up or a down.

"Come on, don't be like that," I gave Ethan a look, "She apologized to me."

"And when was that?"

"Last day of school before summer break."

"And you forgave her?" he scoffed, looking at me with disbelief.

"No," I shook my head, "But I have at least decided to put this all past me. I don't want to be carrying that kind of weight, Ethan."

"If you don't want to carry it, I will," he said, grumpily, "She broke my little sister's arm. I have all the rights to not be happy about it."

True. I couldn't argue with that. "Maybe it was not her fault," I teased the stubble on his cheek with my fingers, grinning, "Maybe no one gave your sister enough calcium for healthy and strong bones."

Ethan snorted, "Don't go all science scholar on me, alright?"

I laughed.

"So, what did she say to you when she apologized?"