Chapter 49

The clock struck twelve and it all happened very fast, someone placed their hand on my shoulder and turned me around. I didn't even have the time to blink before their familiar lips crashed into mine.

Oh, lord

Without a second hesitation, my lips started to move against Luke's – or at least against the person I think is Luke. I cannot exactly describe the feelings that were coursing through me at that exact moment. My hands were shaking as I brought them up to his cheeks, cupping his face in my hands as I kissed him back. This was not our first kiss, but for some reason, it felt like it was.

At the back of my mind, I realized that the lights were now back on, but I didn't exactly care, my mind was filled only with thoughts that were about the pair of lips pressed against mine and the person to whom they belonged to.

"Caroline," he whispered, slightly pulling away from me.

"Luke," I breathed, not knowing how to react now that the kiss was done, "Why did you do that?"

I felt him lean closer to me and rest his forehead against mine, "Because I felt like it."

Anger surged through me, "You cannot kiss me every time you feel like it."

You are confusing me.

"We can talk about this later," he whispered and I gritted my teeth, pushing him away from me.

"There is nothing to talk about," I said, "It was a spur of the moment kind of thing, I get it."

I don't want to talk to you, only for you to call that kiss a mistake. That will break my heart more than anything else could.

Luke opened his mouth to say something, but then immediately closed it, nodding his head hesitantly, "Yeah, it was."

I sat up on my bed immediately, my breath coming out in ragged jags as I looked around my room. My eyes landed on the clock on my night stand and I sighed when I saw that it was just two in the morning and I was waking up to this dream. Again, for the fifth time this week.

Are you kidding me?

I huffed, letting a hand run through my hair as I fell back on the bed, looking up at the ceiling as I thought about my dream again. It has been four days since that New Year's Eve party and it has been the same four days since Luke had kissed me again – which I was still finding hard to believe.

My feelings for him have only gotten worse since then. I don't want to think about that kiss, because I don't really know what I should do about any of this now; and me dreaming over and over again about that same kiss was not really helping my case either.

Two days later, when I had discussed all this Weston, he had been really surprised and then had burst out calling me out on being stupid. I had no idea what I had been stupid about, but West didn't keep me in the dark any longer. He had said that I was a fool for not taking up Luke's offer that night when he had said that we would talk about it later. West also had said that we should definitely talk about the kiss soon or everything will get complicated and weird soon. Hearing him say that only confused me more. I didn't know what to do. And even if I did, I didn't know if I should do it. My biggest fear about talking to Luke about the kiss was, what if I accidentally told Luke that I liked him? That would be a disaster, wouldn't it?

At the end of the day though, Weston had finally convinced me that Luke and I should talk about what happened and I had agreed to do it. But things changed when Luke left that same night. Luke had left to New York that night because his grandma had had a heart attack. We've occasionally exchanged texts since the day he left, but since his grandma is still at the hospital and Luke and his mom were taking turns to stay there, I didn't bother him too much. I promised West that Luke and I will talk once he gets back, but I was dreading that day.