Chapter 18

My eyes narrowed, following my 'I am stupid yet I still get good grades' brother, as he paced across my room, tensely. Ethan had both his hands behind his back as he paced back and forth inside my room with an unattractive frown plastered across his otherwise handsome face. He looked just like dad when he did that. The resemblance was uncanny.

"How did this even happen?" he mumbled to himself, shaking his head, "How can my sister be in some kind of weird boy competition with that girl?"

I glared at him. "For the last time, Ethan, I'm not in any kind of boy competition with Violet Jarales of all the people!"

Ethan stopped pacing and narrowed his eyes at me. "That's not what you said yesterday."

Gah! How does my brother manage to get good grades even after continuously proving to us that he was an idiot over and over again, all through my entire life?

"Not my fault you are not smart enough to get my sarcasm," I defended, rolling my eyes at him.

"Tell me what happened yesterday then," he huffed, "And spare me the sarcasm this time, please."

"Violet was obviously interested in you yesterday, you idiot," I snickered at his glare, "When I interrupted you both, she thought that I was trying to steal her man away from her."

The thought of that stupid girl thinking that I was interested in my brother made me shudder with disgust. I mean it's not like we don't resemble. The striking similarity between me and all my brothers was as clear as daylight, even to a blind man. What with our same brown shaded hair and crystal clear similar features. The only difference we had was our eye colors. Mine and Aaron's were a darker shade of brown while all my other brothers had sharp blue colored eyes – the same color as our father's.

How can Violet not see the resemblances between us?

"But," he frowned, "She has been doing the same thing even when I was here in High School. Why can't she get the hint and leave me alone?"

"She didn't recognize you, Ethan," It is Violet you are talking about, she wouldn't leave you the hell alone even if she had recognized you, "Hell! Even I didn't recognize you at first in the parking lot."

Ethan chuckled, the tension leaving his body as he stepped closer to me and sat on my bed. "You can't help it, can you? You and sarcasm can never be separated."

I laughed for real and gave my stupid brother a side hug, my head on his shoulder. "I missed you so much, Ethan."

"I missed you too, Caroline," he rested his head on top of mine and let out a sigh, "I didn't realize just how much until I came here."

I smiled to myself, "I wish we can all be home now."

"I wish so too," kissing the top of my head, he hugged me tighter, "You know we all love you, right?"

"I know," I looked up at him with a small smile, "I just wish you all will express it better."

"Yeah," he nodded, agreeing, "We all suck at it."

"Big time."

It was the next day to my birthday and as you should all know by now, my brother has been giving me a hard time about my quarrel with Violet yesterday. He let the issue slide yesterday as it was still my birthday and he didn't want to make me upset on my special day – his words and also because not long after we reached home, Reece had called to wish me for my birthday and we spoke for hours together. That left my brother with no other option other than to leave me be till today.

I had called in sick to school – a lie of course – as I wanted to spend some quality time with my brother. Now that I think about it, the school would have been much better compared to my brother's lectures.