Chapter 26

In good times, everybody behaves as if they are your best friends – which may be true only in some cases. The right occasion to test the friendship of a person is at the time of need – the time when we are put in a very complex situation and in need of a real friend. A true friend realizes your needs and comes forward to help you voluntarily without any hope of getting back anything in return from you. They always care about you and are there for you even when they are physically distanced from you and you both are in a long-distance friendship.

Such friends are of course very rare, but they are there.

Living several hours apart from each other is surely bound to leave a big bad crack on any relationship, it may be a romantic one or a friendship. I mean it is not going to be the same, right? I had the same dilemma when Reece first moved out of here to Sydney. I definitely thought that he was going to forget me and all the others here once he gets settled in Sydney with nice friends of his own.

Saying Goodbye to him felt like getting punched in the gut... or worse, punched in the tear duct. Either way, it was the worst experience that I ever had.

Friendship is a divine quality, the one that will last in our life when all the other materialistic things vanish from under our touch. I may, deep down inside my heart know that our friendship was going to be doomed the moment he told me that he was moving out of here, I never said it out aloud. I wouldn't have even hesitated to end anyone who even thought about putting that thought inside my head.

Whenever he promised me that he would call often and keep in touch, I found my heart that loves him as a friend ask, will he? And to answer the question, my brain always replied back with a 'He will not.'

It was easier that way, to not have false hopes and get disappointed when he gets new friends and moves on – completely forgetting his first friend in the process. At least that was what I had thought at that time. But when Reece did keep his word and keep in touch with me – more often than I had imagined – like he had promised, even with school works and a girl issue pressuring his mind, I really realized how much I meant to him even if he doesn't say it out aloud. Reece called me often, Skype called me every weekend, emailed his new pictures with his other friends, and even facetimed me from time to time; he made an effort to stay in touch with me, and that alone made me so happy that I could punch him in the face – out of joy, of course.

When we both first met as six-year-old kids, there was something about Reece that instantly got me closer to him as if he was the one answer that my six-year-old self was seeking to attain happiness. Okay, that was too deep for a six-year-old girl, but, it was true. There was something about Reece that made me want to go to the park every evening so that I can play with him.

It was a nice warm evening and my mom had brought me with her to a nearby park as my brothers – including the traitor Aaron who was asked to join my brothers surprisingly – refused to let me play with them. My parents were both normal, loving parents back then. My dad used to work while my mom used to take care of us and our home – pretty normal I tell you.

Mom always had a smile on her face when she took me out somewhere. It was as if she was very proud to show the world that she had me as her daughter. In some way, that made me happy. So, when I cried because my brothers wouldn't let me play with them, mom just gave me a soft smile and told me that she can take me to the park so that I can play there all I want.

I was excited. I was so damn excited to go to the park that I immediately jumped up into my mom's arms and grinned as she walked me to the park, smiling proudly as she did. That was the day that I met him. Reece Rogers. The boy with the brightest brown eyes that I have ever seen, his eyes were sparkling like literally. His brown hair was a mess, sticking up in all directions. He had lost his two front teeth, but he didn't even bother about it as he grinned at me. He was cute in his own way that the first grin that he had given me has always been imprinted in my mind and will always be till the day I take my last breath.