Chapter 55

Friday came fast, but not fast enough for my liking and I was more than happy when the last bell rang, symbolizing the end of school for today. I cannot wait for Aaron and Harper to pick me up so that I can lock myself inside my room and get some well-deserved sleep.

The past week had been a nightmare. One that I did not expect to happen.

Luke and I were not fine, and I don't think we would ever be fine. He was trying to make things work between us, it was me who was always running away from his presence. I know, I'm being childish and I'm throwing away the great friendship that I have with Luke by acting this way. I couldn't help it though.

Whenever Luke was around, I was getting this strange feeling and my heart is starting to beat faster when our eyes lock, even if it was just for a second. Now that our friends too know that something was going on between us, thanks to the New Year Eve's passionate midnight kiss, there is no hiding anything from them and when they look at me, even to just simply look at me, I get this feeling that they are looking at me because I had kissed my best friend. It is not like that, I know, but I couldn't help thinking like that either.

My crush for my best friend has been getting weird and worse. I don't want this crush to develop more and I don't want to fall for my best friend. That would complicate things for us, more than it has now complicated it.

As luck would have it, Luke and I share the first two hours of school together, but thankfully Luke stays a safe distance away from me in both the classes. Even during our lunch hour, he never sits beside me anymore, it was weird.

Yes, it was difficult and it was painful to see my best friend, the one person who had been more close to me than anyone else, placing this distance between us. But he was doing the right thing actually. I would have asked him to do the same because I need some space if I wanted to get over this crush I suddenly have for him.

I slung my bag over shoulder and exited the last hour of school, happy to just run out of here. As usual, Tristan was on my one side with Nova on my other side. They were bickering back and forth about something that happened during lunch with Tristan and it was amusing to watch them go at it.

"I'm telling you, I think she should have really punched you after what you said to her," Nova said, giving Tristan a nasty eye, scoffing at him.

"Why do I have to get punched for something that's not even my fault?" Tristan narrowed his eyes at Nova and glared.

"How is it not your fault?" Nova shot, leaning over me to look at Tristan better.

"How is it my fault?" Tristan shot back at her, rolling his eyes.

"Well, let me see," she pretended to think about his question, scratching her chin in a mocking way, "Well, first, you hooked up with her and then forgot her name and called her by her best friend's name and now when she suddenly got the courage to ask you to go out on a date, you called her desperate and scared her off. Of course, you deserved the slap that she gave you."

I frowned, looking up at Tristan. This was so not like Tristan. He would never call a girl desperate just because they hooked up with him, "Tristan?"

"It is nothing, Caroline," he assured, turning to look at Nova, a deadly look in his eyes, "I don't know what you heard from others, but the rumors around this school are never true. I did not call that Gabby girl desperate. Get your facts right, first."

"Tristan," I repeated his name, this time a bit strongly as I tugged at his shirt sleeve, "Stop it."

"No, Care, I'm not going to stop it," he said sternly, looking me in the eyes as he spoke, before looking at Nova, who had stood dumbfounded, watching Tristan's entire behavior change so drastically. He went from being carefree and bickering to all dark and angry.