Chapter 24

I didn't have to wake up the next day, because I never slept in the first place. The sleep that I had in my eyes had vanished the moment my best friend had decided that it would be fun to show up uninvited at my doorstep – drunk off his ass if I might add – and kissed me so passionately that it would even put my ex-boyfriend to shame.

There was one question though that was constantly running through my mind since our kiss had stopped yesterday. Apart from the question on why I liked the kiss... Why had I kissed him back?

I was caught off guard...

That was the excuse I had given Kyra when she caught me staring through thin air, looking somewhere without actually looking anywhere and that was the same excuse I gave myself to the question something inside of me kept asking me about the less than appropriate kiss that I had shared with my best friend.

I could give you a lot of excuses saying that I was caught off guard or that I wasn't thinking or even something more reasonable to make sense, but I knew better. I was not a girl to be caught off guard in moments like that. I was far from being caught off guard. In fact, I was the type of girl who always remained composed and never lets myself fall into moments like that without my own will. For me to kiss my best friend back when he was drunk and not himself, seriously required something to be wrong on my part.

If I had been so composed in everything, how did this happen? How could I have let my best friend kiss me? How could I have kissed him back? What the hell is wrong with the both of us? We are supposed to be best friends, we are supposed to be each other's confidant and we are supposed to be there for each other through everything that life has in store for us. To be all these, surely, didn't involve kissing each other like that last night though. So why did we?

I sighed, inhaling a deep breath when I felt Kyra snuggle deeper into my side. She had been asleep peacefully the entire time that I had been awake panicking. My thoughts consumed by what had happened last night or should I say this morning? Even in her sleep, her hand that was holding mine was the only thing that was keeping me from getting out of the bed and bolting out of the house. I didn't want to face Luke just yet and knowing that I may have to do the exact same thing in exactly like an hour or two was actually making me anxious. The remainder of a voice in the back of my mind was telling me that he was just a floor below me, sleeping peacefully on our couch, which wasn't helping me either.

Maybe I was just reading too much into all of this. Maybe that stupid kiss didn't mean anything. He was drunk and not himself and acted stupidly.

You were not drunk and yet acted stupid, my inner conscious reminded me and I decided to tune it out for a while. I didn't need an inner voice constantly reminding me of the stupid things that I do in my life. It was better to ignore my subconscious mind's taunting for now.

So, I decided. I decided that I was just overreacting and Luke may probably not even remember what happened last night as he was too drunk and would be very much hungover right now to even think about remembering what happened last night. Yes, he would not remember anything from last night.

I hope it is just not wishful thinking.

"Oh, you are awake already?" a cheerful, sleepy voice sounded next to me and I sighed internally turning to face her.

When did I even sleep?

"Good morning, Kyra," I whispered softly, plastering a small smile on my face, trying to not show the fact that I had not slept the previous night on my face.

She smiled sweetly, her eyes closing on their own accord with sleep as she snuggled my soft pillow, "Good morning."

I got out of bed the moment when I saw that my alarm clock was going to ring anytime soon. It doesn't matter, right? It is not like I was going to get any sleep now anyway. Instead of just staying in my bed and wonder about what was going to happen once I go down and face Luke, it was better to get out of bed and get ready to face another boring day at school.