Chapter 10

"the young tom riddle liked to collect trophies"
HP6

~~~~~~~~~

Many girls were swooning over him, even if he didn't do anything to encourage them.
Some girls dared to approach him to talk to him with great expectations. But soon they had to leave with the most sorrowful faces.
Riddle was already drowned into his readings to care about them.
"He's handsome and he bloody knows it well" Adele commented bitterly.
Evelyn shot him a last perplexed look, then ducked her head on her book.
She wondered if privately he acted with the other girls as he liked to do with her. She couldn't know. And the possibility that he might enjoy teasing only her sinisterly fascinated her.
"He almost doesn't seem human since he doesn't show any interest for any girls. Do you think he has some secret affair or particular tastes?" Kat asked in a whisper.
"I didn't hear anything interesting" Adele replied. They enjoyed gossiping even in the Study Area "It's a mystery even for the Slytherin girls. He didn't date anyone as far as people know, nor he ever flirted with anyone. He just acts like a gentleman whenever it can give him a good reputation".
"Perhaps he feels he's too handsome for falling for any of us" Kat simpered.
"That's possible. But he's too introvert and too much a model student for me. I'd feel too worthless around him".
"Evy? Why you're not saying anything?" Kat complained.
"You two are still in a deep competition, aren't you? I wish I can help you to defeat that brilliant brain of him" Adele sighed.
"He's just a brat" Evelyn snapped under her breath.
Her two friends burst out laughing, catching the attentions of the other students.
Also Riddle raised his eyes and his stare was enough to quiet them down.
Evelyn lowered her eyes before he could cross her eyes. She discovered how he knew too much and probably realized whather friends were gossiping about. She avoided him since their nighttime adventure some days before.
She couldn't explain to herself why she cried after locking herself into the Room of Requirement. Minutes before she had been overwhelmed by opposite feelings that pushed her towards him like a moth around a light, then she discovered he tried to use the legilimency on her and everything broke.
She spent the whole night into that room, afraid that he might have waited for her out of the door. But in the morning the corridor was empty and she hurried back to her dormitory.
During their mutual classes, she got used to arrive with her closest friends and insisted to sit next to them. In the Great Hall they were on the opposite sides and even if she tried to ignore him, sometimes she felt his stare on her.
She even started to appreciate Vincent's company just to be always busy with someone.
Days passed and the anger evaporated. Distance was becoming a routine.
Evelyn crossed his dark eyes one evening while they were having supper.
She kept their eye contact with no grief. His eyes gave what seemed a knowing look. No, she didn't feel him as a menace anymore.
He couldn't read her mind anymore. She wouldn't ever hang out with him again at night. They were in different houses. He couldn't harm her.
And Vincent seemed closer, so she felt safe.

Evelyn got rid of the cursed key in that same night Riddle left it to her. She hoped nobody else would find it ever again.
Other mysteries were calling her and she couldn't afford to linger on the past.
Evelyn reached the library using a secret passage near her tower.
It didn't surprise her to find Riddle studying there too. They were the ones who spent most of their time in libraries.
She headed towards the Restricted Section, but she had to walk past him.
His head was lowered to the book he was reading.
She stopped, couldn't help but watching him with wonder, recalling her friends' discussion. He was extraordinarily handsome indeed. And then he looked so harmless.
Evelyn forced herself to look away and walk forward to the shieves she needed, not knowing that he noticed her staring and pretended to be indifferent.

She had to care of her homeworks before her private researches, but she usually forgot what had to come first.
She looked for the books she needed for her homeworks and piled them on a table together with her own.
She was so concentrated that she didn't realize someone approached her, until she saw some arms trapping her against the table.
She startled, turning and coming face to face with Riddle.
If it was Vincent she would have laughed, but she couldn't afford such a reaction with that Slytherin boy. He who chuckled at her reaction.
"Riddle! That's rude!" She pushed him away.
"My apologies, then" he came closer again.
She found herself trapped between the table and his body. She eyed Riddle's calm face, like he was used to do such things.
He checked the notes she left of the table "Reports for next week. I've already finished them all. I can help, if you want".
"Let me go" she asked in a husky voice.
He raised an eyebrow raising his hands just to rest them back on the table on each of her sides.
"Am I making you so uncomfortable?" He asked in a soft whisper.
She forced herself not to swallow. She couldn't know how much he penetrated her mind, but she hoped to have blocked him before he could learn too much
"No, it's you who is acting so childishly" she snapped, turning to focus on her works again.
His hand checked the books she had piled "Where did you get this?".
She snatched it from him and piled the books again "Not from here. You can't have it".
"Selfish" he hissed "I can't accept that your common room can enjoy a exclusive library that nobody else can".
"Well, learn to live with it" she hugged the books tightly, turning towards him to check how long he wanted to keep her trapped in that uncomfortable way.
He just stared at her accepting the challenge.
A near noise made her startle and look around in horror. Nobody could see her like that. If that was right Riddle's plan, she would have at least cursed him.
Something touched her lips and she panicked. She crossed Tom's dark eyes while he removed his two fingers from her lips and made sign to be quiet, then he swiftly slipped away like he was wind, leaving her dizzy and sore.
Evelyn waited for her heart beats to stop hurting her chest, then rushed to her common room.