Chapter 23

"Voldemort Stupefied his uncle, took his wand, and proceeded across the valley to 'the big house over the way.' There he murdered the Muggle man who had abandoned his witch mother, and, for good measure, his Muggle grandparents, thus obliterating the last of the unworthy Riddle line and revenging himself upon the father who never wanted him. Then he returned to the Gaunt hovel, performed the complex bit of magic that would implant a false memory in his uncle's mind, laid Morfin's wand beside its unconscious owner, pocketed the ancient ring he wore, and departed."
HP6

~~~~~~~

Tom didn't kill just her father, he killed also his muggle grandparents.
Evelyn managed to find more details about the trial to Morfin Gaunt. He had already been in Azkaban for hatred against muggles. He immediately confessed that he had murdered the three Riddles and gave all the details; the examinators checked his wand and confirmed that it was him. On some notes from the trial's paper, Evelyn read that Morfin was constantly complaining about losing his father's ring. A detail that the trail didn't take much into consideration, but for Evelyn confirmed who was the real culprit.
At first she imagined that Tom had used the Imperius again. Then all the details made her guess that he knocked out his uncle, stole his wand and went to the Riddle Manor to meet his relatives. A meeting that turned out into a bloodshed.
There were some articles from muggle newspaper about the mysterious death of the Riddle family, that gave no hints to the muggles about how they died, but for the wizards it only meant that it was the Unforgivable Curse. Tom Riddle jr used the Avada Kedavra not once, but three times.
Myrtle's death wasn't by his hand so it didn't rip his soul. But this time he was truly ready to make his horcrux, because the Riddles died by his hand.
And Evelyn was sure that nothing in the world could make him regret for killing the people he hated the most for abandoning him, people with no magical skills called muggles, the same ones who bombarded London and would have eventually killed him if Evelyn didn't take him from the orphanage in time.
Her doubts on how Tom implanted the clear memories of the murder into his uncle's mind turned into the certainty that Tom's skills with Memory Charms grew better than she ever imagined.
Morfin Gaunt fell asleep after meeting his nephew who looked like the muggle he had hated the most. And woke up remembering some murders he never committed. And because of his nephew, he was forced to live the rest of his life at Azkaban, the worst place in the world.
Evelyn felt remorseful for Tom. She knew things that could save Morfin and unveal the real face of Tom Riddle. But she knew she couldn't win against Tom alone. He easily got rid of everyone he disliked, he made expel students, he sent Milly to an asylum, he used Hagrid to cover his own misdeeds and save the school from being closed only because he didn't want to go back to his orphanage until he was no more underage.
She felt totally helpless compared to him. Also because her heart and her soul still belonged to him.

Evelyn joined her other uncle in his shop in Knockturn Alley. Keeping herself busy was the only way to have some relief from her torments and her broken heart.
Milly's parents noticed some changing in her but didn't dare to investigate further, as they were used to do with their teenage daughter.
When they had proposed to go to pay a visit to st Mungo's, Evelyn understood it was time to leave that house.
Caracturus Burke was more than pleased to share his load of works with her. And she needed to be busy.
Some days later, Evelyn saw stepping into the shop the latest person she wanted to see.
"Good morning, Evelyn" he said in a lovely way.
She was petrified.
A murderer was standing in front of her. Muggles were still human beings, no matter how some wizards disdained them, she repeated to herself.
There was nothing of the soaking wet boy who came to her house some weeks before.
Tom Riddle was dressed in simple black robes, his jet black hair well combed, his head held high, his features elegant but gentle.
Evelyn couldn't help but think that he was even more handsome than she remembered him.
She forced herself to remind the last time they met and what he revealed to her. Nothing could ever fix a murder.