Chapter 18

"Slytherin, according to the legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that none would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir alone would be able to unseal the Chamber of Secrets, unleash the horror within, and use it to purge the school of all who were unworthy to study magic."
HP2

~~~~~~~~

Somehow Tom kept his word. Evelyn kept an eye on him, checking if he tried to sneak into the girls' lavatory without telling her.
Instead he was acting as a flawless boy.
He kept showing her that he deserved her forgiveness and trust. And she liked feeling special to someone like him, although she couldn't help but being nervous each time she was alone. She didn't know how the basilisk was able to move. She knew about the pipe system, so she was scared each time she turned on the taps or used the toilet.
But nothing bad happened yet. The beast was free, but only Tom and she knew it. The life in the castle moved on as everything was normal.

"It's good to see him with you. I like to think he's not so lonely anymore" Emma Rosier was the Slytherin prefect girl. Evelyn liked her because she had nothing in common with Milly, who was used to excel to be the nastiest Slytherin girl.
"I don't think he was that lonely. He is friend with the other boys of your house" Tom decided to call them his "knights" as if he was king Arthur or something like that.
"Yeah, they understand each other, but he didn't bond that much with them" Emma whispered as a confidence "Loneliness has been his best friend, before he started to hang out with you".
Evelyn glanced at her smile with a little diffidence "What about you? How well do you know him?".
"I don't know. To be honest, I wanted to be a closer friend to him, or even something more. I had high hopes. Instead he turned me down and when he said no, I moved on. And I'm glad for that".
Evelyn read between the lines and felt unconfortable "So... It was you who sent him a Valentine letter last year?".
"What? No, it could have been one of his many admirers. I know how he hates that kind of stuff. I couldn't step back into the common room after such a silly joke. But don't worry, I got over it years ago. And I'm proud of that, so now I can be happy with Corvus".
Evelyn frowned "Lestrange?".
Emma's smile widened as she nodded "Yes. We prefer to keep it private because we can't bear the gossip. But since we are into the same gang now, you should know it, so you know you have no reason to be jealous".

Evelyn wondered how many girls were still dreaming to end up with Tom. She had been dealing with that kind of jealousy with Vincent, a problem that messed up their own relationship. She didn't want it to happen again with Tom. She wanted to believe that he was indifferent to all the attention that his gorgeousness attracted. At least for her.

Her thoughts accompanied her back to her tower. She spotted Tom and focused on what she had to report to him about their duties, then they bid goodnight to each other.
Then she moved to reach the entrance of her dormitory.
Evelyn snorted at the sight of a girl in front of the door.
"Warren, locked out again?".
The first year girl shyly nodded, keeping her head low in shame.
"It's alright. You'll get used to it".
What has rivers with no waters, forests but no trees and cities with no buildings?
"Easy. A map".
The door opened and Warren sneaked in.
Evelyn turned to see Tom with a curious thoughtful expression. She waved to him, then finally went up to her dorm.

On the next day Evelyn decided to face her Slytherin boyfriend about it "Listen, as prefect I need to ask you to check on those students of your house who are bullying others".
"Now we Slytherins are bullies?" He snapped coldly.
"No, just some of you, like Milly. And that Hornby now. If you cared to act to protect me, help me so that Slytherin girl stop harassing those of my house. Warren is always crying in the bathrooms and in the common room. I can't bear it anymore".
He pondered her words "Is that the one who couldn't get into your tower?".
She nodded "I had troubles too at the beginning. But that Hornby doesn't give her rest. I feel her. It was the same for me and Milly".
"What's her name again?".
"Warren. Myrtle Warren. And I know what's upsetting you" she said turning serious "She's a muggle borns".
He smirked "A mudblood".
"But she's not a menace. How can she?".
"How can someone like her stay here? In a temple of magic? You are asking me to stop a pureblood from harassing a mudblood? I just can't".
She stared at him with frustration "It's not about bloods. It's about our duties. Professor Merrythought is getting angry to me because she can't blame that little girl who is making losing a lot of point from my house".
"Then that weak girl should disappear".
His harsh sentence made her freeze "What? Seriously?".
"Don't forget you are talking to the Heir of Slytherin" he hissed to her.
"What if I was a muggle born? Would you kill me right now?".
"You're not" he said simply.
"How do you know? You have no proves about it. A name doesn't mean anything. Your own name made many believe you were a muggle born, who would ever imagine you can be the heir of Slytherin?".
"Stop talking nonsense".
"Tell me what you do if I'm one of your hated mudbloods".
"You'd rather not knowing. You're still too beautiful to become a corpse. Then I'd abuse of you, in ways that you must wish never to know. But if you dare to provoke me again, I'll give you a taste of it, understood?".
She was shocked by his coldness. And she felt tired of fighting "What do you want me to say now? 'Yes, Lord'?".
"I want you to persuade yourself that just because I chose you as my girl it doesn't mean you're allowed to be so impertinent to me. Remember that I'm your Lord and you must not annoy me. Or you'll bitterly regret it".
He turned on his shoes and walked away.
It could have been worse.
For a moment she believed he would have cursed her in order to torture her and prevent her to run away from his control.
Instead she got tempted by the idea of going to report him as soon as possible.

Evelyn knew that she didn't have to take drastic decisions when she had emotional crisis. She kept herself busy with her studies and duties, checking that nobody would attack her back in the meanwhile.
If Tom was mad at her, she was far more pissed.

Later the anger made her wander in the castle with no destination.
Somehow she ended up in the dungeons.
The Slytherin prefect girl crossed her path, they chatted for a while, then Evelyn got the weird idea of sneaking into the Slytherin common room during dinnertime. She heard the password from Tom and a simple confusing spell covered her real identity when she walked into the familiar common room. She focused on her memory of when Tom dragged her into his room.

So there she was again.
Into the room of the Heir of Slytherin.
Since he learned about the Room of Requirements he would hide all his secrets there, she imagined.
She scanned his little possessions. All second hand stuff. His bed was perfectly tidy, the opposite of his roommates' ones.
She opened his drawer and scanned the books and papers, until her eyes fell on his handwritings on a page. It had her name on it.
She started reading it, turning more and more shocked.

It was all about her. All her personal informations and her family's trees.
It was like he was making a very accurate research on her.
She recalled their last discussion in the morning and feared what she caused. She hoped he would forget about it, instead he was digging into her whole life, like she was a book he was reading so easily.
She was so lost into those words that she didn't notice the sound of approaching steps, until the door opened and Tom widened his eyes for a moment at the sight of her poking her nose into his business.
"Who let you in?" He asked locking the door behind him.
"No one" she said simply. Her hand looked for her wand in her pocket.
"Then how did you get here?".
"You're not the only one able to sneak into other's dorms" she stated coldly, but unwillingly her voice cracked a bit and surely he noticed that.
She lowered her eyes on the papers she hadn't been able to hide "What are you doing?".
He stepped closer to snatch the papers out of her hands "I'm studying you, since you're mine".
Evelyn felt insulted by the way he said mine "You can ask me directly. And what's the use of all these infos? Were you so scared of having made sex with a mudblood?".
"Don't act like you're offended when it's all your fault. You and your silly chats".
"I don't allow you to snoop into my life since you don't let me do that with yours".
"But that's what I've just caught you doing!" He snapped "Snooping around in my room".
"Just to find out that you're snooping on my life! And what do I know about your life? And your family?".
"You already know too much".
She sighed. It was useless fighting him "I hate you, Riddle. I don't want to deal with you anymore".
"Prove it" he grabbed her by her shoulders to stop her from moving towards the door "Do something".
Before she could react he pressed his lips on her and violently pushed her on his bed.
She tried to push him away but he was too heavy on her. And her efforts seemed to excited him more.
He suddenly let her go leaving her panting heavily.
"See? I know you better than yourself".
"This changes nothing" she snapped, turned between confusion and anger.
"Of course it doesn't" he said blankly "Come on. I help you get out from here safely".