Chapter 21

"The world was on fire and no one could save me but you
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do
I never dreamed that I'd meet somebody like you
And I never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you
...
What a wicked game to play
To make me feel this way
What a wicked thing to do
To let me dream of you

What a wicked thing to say
You never felt this way
What a wicked thing to do
To make me dream of you

No, I don't wanna fall in love
With you"
Wicked Game, Ursine Vulpine & Annaca

~~~~~~~

During the supper she often checked the entrance, hoping to spot some familiar figure. Until she noticed some Slytherin boys trying to catch her attention. She recognized Tom's Knights.

Avery instructed her that she had to hurry to meet Tom near the entrance doors.
Something was wrong, she immediately realized. If he talked to his Knights to make her reach that place, he wasn't injured. The Knights were only his spies, they were never involved directly with the Chamber stuff.
Walking slowly away from the safe Great Hall, Evelyn realized that if Tom had to close the story of the Chamber and keep it safe, he needed to get rid of the only person who also knew about it. And that person was her.
Evelyn started to sweat cold. If the basilisk would kill also a pureblood like her, nobody would believe again that the attacks were meant only for the muggle borns. But she knew too much. And Tom wasn't someone who would easily trust people. She was a prefect. So people would think that she found the culprit of the attacks but was killed in the duel.
Evelyn winced when suddenly a hand grabbed her wrist and dragged her behind a statue.
"What the hell are you doing?" Tom hissed checking that nobody saw them "What did they tell you?".
"What happened?" She asked noticing that he was somehow shocked.
He sighed heavily, brushing a hand on his face "I did what I told you, but... It happened so fast. She's dead".
Evelyn gaped at his words "What?".
"A mudblood is dead" he said coldly turning his gaze to her.
She opened her mouth to breath. Those words were strangling her "You promised...".
He impatiently grabbed her shoulders and hissed into her ear "She almost found out about the basilisk. She had to die. She saw his eyes and she was gone. I couldn't stop it".
She stepped back clumsily, to stare at him in shock "So it's over? A murder won't stay unpunished. They will find out about the basilisk and kill it or they will close the school".
"I'll plan something. Don't do anything, do not speak to anyone about this or we are both fucked" he said in a menacing tone.
"Tom, we will get expelled or worse locked into Azkaban!" Evelyn felt tears into her eyes but she didn't care.
"I won't let it happen. Trust me, okay? Let me fix it all" he tried to place his hands on her again, but she moved away.
"No, we need to be ready! Somehow they will get to us and use the Veritaserum on us!".
"It's illegal" he said promptly.
"They can make an exception. Can't you imagine how things will change now because of this?".
"I can, so please just calm down and don't forsake me. I need your help" he forced her to stop her confused walking and to look into his determined eyes "I couldn't tell you this in the Great Hall. Now we need both to calm down, we will go back there and pretend nothing happened. Can you do this?".
"I'm not sure" she said honestly "And when someone will find out?".
"Just don't overreact, okay? It's not your fault. I am the one who involved you in this, so don't panic. The Chamber is closed now, this story is over. So don't let this final accident blow it all up".
Evelyn didn't even ask who died, she realized when they walked back to the Great Hall, where everything was still ordinary.

Evelyn sat back at her table, facing the Slytherin table, where Tom kept an eye on her.
It was dessert time, but whatever she tasted was so bitter.
Everything seemed calmed, until the professor Merrythought, the Head of Ravenclaw, checked the students, then chatted animatedly with Slughorn, who then ordered "Miss Hornby! Go and bring miss Warren here. Now!".
Evelyn looked around her table, noticing that Myrtle Warren was missing. She glanced with shock at Tom, who just stared back at her with a blank face.
Hornby ran out of the Hall and Evelyn started to count the seconds before the storm. Myrtle was used to hide in the bathrooms. She was an easy target. And she was muggle borns with no relevant potentials.
Evelyn had hoped that closing the Chamber would save that poor young Ravenvlaw girl from the crazy plan of the Heir of Slytherin. She couldn't believe that instead she was the last, real victim.