Chapter 29

"Non-magic people (more commonly known as Muggles) were particularly afraid of magic in medieval times"
HP3

~~~~~

In the morning she needed some time to understand what happened. She was into Tom's arms again after so many nights of loneliness. She couldn't be happier.
When she opened her eyes, she saw him watching her. He looked so perfect he looked like a Greek God.
"How long have you been awake?" She asked stretching herself, just to feel her legs getting intertwined with his in the small bed.
"A while" he confessed softly "I was enjoying watching you sleep".
"Is it something enjoyable?".
"It is" he confirmed with a smile, then added "Thank you. For letting me stay here".
She inhaled enjoying those precious little things "Thanks to you for wanting to stay".
"We shouldn't join the battles of this era".
She couldn't read his expression "So we should find a way to go back?".
"Or just stay here. Do you really want to stand up and go out there?".
"No, I would stay here in your arms forever if you'd allow me" she hugged him, resting her head on his chest, so she could hear his heart beating. His heart was still beating like a human, also after all the mess they had been through.
"I'm sure I know how to entertain you if you decide to stay here with me" he provoked her kissing her hair "I forgot to tell you thst you're so beautiful also with golden hair".
Evelyn swallowed hard "I thought you would enjoy getting the opportunity to kill some more muggles".
Her words froze him. She cursed herself for willingly destroying that moment of bliss they had.
"Let's not talk about it, please" he begged keeping her trapped against his body "I would never trade being back with you like this with anything else".
"I don't believe you" she teased him.
"I can show you, if you..." He tried to move to be on top of her, but she stopped him laughing.
"Alright, kidding. I'm not sure the people out there wouldn't enjoy hearing us making fun again when it's time for battle".
"Then we will make more noise so they leave sooner" he leaned to kiss her and she allowed him to do that, then forced herself to stand up.
They got dressed watching each other. They wanted to enjoy that moment as much as the could.

A loud knock broke the enchantment and a voice shouted from behind the door "Guys, get up quickly or you stay here".
Evelyn opened the door, coming face to face with a perplexed Godric.
"We already are ready" she announced.
"Very well" Gryffindor said simply, glancing between the two students.
The wizards were having a quick breakfast and then were ready to march to put the plan into action.
The muggle allies joined them.
Evelyn stayed close to Tom. They were like visitors who won the possibility to witness something rare.
"You look better than I imagined" Salazar appeared next to her with grumpy temper "I thought you would have been sleepy".
"I'm wide awake" she said feeling nervous.
"That's impressive. I feel guilty for caring to check what was going on" he said upset "I had doubts on what kind of assault you were victim of".
"It was my fault" Tom confessed without shadows of regret, placing himself between them.
"Of course it was" Salazar hissed shooting a bad glance to the boy "If it wasn't, I would have killed the responsible by now".
Tom wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulder in a protective way while Salazar fastened his pace to leave them behind.
Evelyn felt deeply embarassed, but she was grateful for not dealing with that alone.

Their group reached a muggle village where the cursed girl was said to be hidden. But the enemy muggles came there before them.
The muggles from opposite sides started to argue, until the wizards decided to intervene. A girl was forced out of a hut.
She looked younger than thirteen and looked just like an innocent lamb, with red hair and freckled cheeks.
She was clearly scared, but when she found herself in the middle of a battle and some wizards attacked the muggles who wanted to use her as weapon, everything changed.
Her eyes turned white and her figure started to fade while a dark smoke started to spread. It just confirmed that Evelyn's theory was right.
She felt proud of herself, but she couldn't enjoy it. Tom pulled her far from the battle.
"It's slipping out of control. You must leave. I'm not sure I can protect you from that".
"I'm not leaving you!" She complained grabbing his arm, when suddenly the dark smoke made the village explode and muggles and wizards were all running away for their lives.
"No time for discussing" he cut her off "It's their job, not ours. Run down the hill while they attract that thing upper so they can try to trap it".
He placed a hand on her side, where she was keeping his ring safe, while she glanced up to see with horror the sky turning of the color of blood.
"What about you?".
"I'll keep your back safe. Don't worry, I won't be too far" he pushed her to make her run and she obeyed.
But soon she felt lost and couldn't see Tom behind her. She kept running until the hill was replaced by a huge lake.
Evelyn looked up at the small Hogwarts castle. There weren't far enough to keep the castle safe.
The red sky turned dark and Evelyn shivered for the cold wind that accompanied it.
She stopped by the bank of the lake, panting and hiding her hands into her pockets. Her fingers touched the ring, so she took it out and observed it. She was used to see the same ring on Salazar's finger. He, who couldn't know that an older version of his ring was turned into something darker than whatever was storming around them.
Evelyn was disgusted for how dark that ring became. She wanted to throw it into the lake, so nobody would ever deal with it again.
But then she recalled that people died for it. Tom ripped his soul for it. Throwing it away would just make all those sacrifices useless.
With tears in her eyes, she closed her fingers around the ring and placed it again in her pocket.
She recalled that also the Chamber of Secrets had its price in blood. Myrtle Warren died for a mistake, but her death had been useless. The muggle borns didn't abandon the castle, the Chamber hadn't been destroyed, nothing changed, expect turning Tom darker.
Also Myrtle had a troubled past. She was bullied for her being clumsy, but she has magic powers, so she couldn't be pushed away from the school.
Evelyn compared her to Lyanne, who was just another victim, another muggle with magic, just another useless death.