Chapter 25

"Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth"
HP6

~~~~~~~~~

Tom couldn't believe that a girl could break up with him. Evelyn wasn't like any other girl, that was for sure. But he believed their destinies were so entangled that there was no way to be divided.
And again she surprised him.
She really broke with him.
Tom didn't know how long he stayed into that room, trying to figure out what he did wrong and how he could fix it all.
He was distracted by some shy knock on the door. And the mask of innocence he immediately put on his face, soon fell at the sight of one of his knights.
"I'm sorry to bother you, master" Lestrange said humbly.
"What's wrong?" Tom snapped.
"Nothing. Or well...Will you let her go like that, master?".
Tom scowled "You eavesdropped".
"I was in the nearby. I'm sorry. But if you want my opinion..".
"I don't need your help" Tom said sharply "I can handle it alone. It's not over".
He kept repeating those words into his mind while walking fast away. It was not over.

Evelyn wondered if it was the muggles' fault. Tom grew up in the muggle world. The muggles were in the middle of a world war that was killing millions of people. She imagined that for muggles killing was something normal, just like having sex before graduation. Evelyn grew up in the magic world, where some rules were taught since childhood so they were hard to break. Killing was wrong, magic out of school was forbidden until the age of seventeen, sex was allowed only after leaving school, magic was never something to undervalue, dark magic was banished and was something to fight.
Evelyn also pondered the idea that Tom might have some mental problem, always linked to his growing up in a muggle orphanage. He was unnaturally smart and skilled. Nature didn't give so much without taking away something.
Or simply if muggles could kill thousands, why a wizard couldn't kill some just to become immortal?
Evelyn shoved away those damned thoughts. Tom was as he was, she couldn't change him. She had to focus on her own safety.
She didn't know what she had started. She had all rights to break up with him, but he was not someone who would easily give up on losing someone. His possessiveness was one of his worst traits. He was the Heir of Slytherin and she dared to turn her back to him.
He could open the Chamber again to set the basilisk against her. She shivered at the thought.
Even dealing with Milly seemed just a childish problem. Dealing with Tom was a matter of life or death.

Soon the news spread in the school.
Evelyn sticked around her friends. She knew it was too dangerous for her to stay alone.
"To the most beautiful single girls" Adele raised her cup, touching Evelyn's one. Adele planned a sort of party in their room to comfort her broken hearted friend.
"Although I believe you won't stay single for much long" Adele added taking a sip.
Evelyn tasted the drink and winced "Whiskey?".
"Smuggled with some Gryffindor boys. You know, I think I won't stay single for much more either" Adele smirked, looking like she was already drunk.
"Do you know that Vincent is still single too?".
Evelyn felt the whiskey going down the wror way "Vincent Fawley?".
"Yeah, him. He had some secret affairs with more than someone, but officially he is single since you broke his heart" Adele gave her an amused look.
"And do you think he would come back with me?".
"If you want to. But you don't, I presume?".
Evelyn shrugged "My mind was clear when I decided to break up with him. And he is the latest person I would date right now. Actually, I don't want to date anyone right now".
"You can't go on like this" Adele insisted "Leave that sad face behind. We live only once. So rise and shine and have fun".
Evelyn forced a smile. It was true, she could only live once. While Tom created for himself the opportunity to live more than once.

One of the side effects Evelyn caused was that she gave to Walburga Black an easy victory. The Black girl immediately took advantage of it and started to brag about being Tom's new girlfriend. Evelyn also heard her claiming that she was giving him something that he lacked in his previous relationship. And for Evelyn that was a proof that the nasty Slytherin girl was lying: nobody could ever give more than she did.
Tom did nothing to show that the Black girl was lying. He mostly ignored her, but never told her to stay away from him. So she kept following him as a shadow, enjoying her new popularity.