Chapter 32

"...that lake was very large, and very deep … and merpeople would surely live right at the bottom …"
HP4

~~~~~~~

Her common room wasn't too far, but her legs failed her and she needed to sit down.
Evelyn hated hearing the sound of her sobs, she tried to be quiet but the heartache was killing her. She wished she had the strength to stand up and reach her dormitory, instead she just sat in a dark, dusty corner, feeling abandoned from the world.
She tried to clear her confused mind and control her feelings, in vain.
After some minutes a soft voice broke the silence.
"Don't let men steal your time. They bring only harm".
Evelyn startled and brushed her face, noticing the white shadow of a ghost approaching her.
The Grey Lady was staring at her with a slightly mocking face.
Evelyn gaped, unsure on what to say "Have you ever... Did someone harm you too?".
The ghost grimaced at the question. She lowered her head and flew away.
Evelyn feared that she offended the ghost with her question, instead the Grey Lady replied in a whisper "Yes. In the worst way".
Evelyn turned to her with a sympathetic face "What happened?".
Helena Ravenclaw scowled at her "I don't want to talk about it".
Evelyn recalled Rowena's proud but kind attitude. She almost wished to tell her about her meetings with Helena's mother, but she bit her tongue.
"You said you broke your mother's heart. Is it related to that?".
"Yeah, in some way. Because she had sent him to me, to bring me back to her. He who always craved for me. But I couldn't go back to her after what I did to her, so I refused. And he..." The ghost let out a long, cold sigh.
"I'm so sorry" Evelyn whispered feeling goosebumps on her skin.
Helena shrugged, turning fierce "But he's paying for that. The baron stabbed himself with the same dagger and now he's dragging his chains forever as penitence".
Evelyn blinked confused and watched the ghost flying away. Her mind was still trying to connect all the dots. She knew that Helena's words brought her to some big revelation.
The girl startled again when she saw another shadow, this time dark, approaching her in her corner.
She gasped when she recognized Tom.
"What? Why did you come back?" She hissed with surprise.
"I never left actually" he said softly, nothing of the harsh tone he used when they argued minutes earlier.
Evelyn held her breath, guessing that he was there, close enough to hear her crying and he did nothing. Close enough to hear Helena's words and that was what mattered to him.
"I'm sorry" he said next to her "I didn't mean to upset you so much".
She wasn't even crying anymore and forgot how much she was mad at him. She was just shocked for her discovery.
"You heard?" She asked scanning his handsome face, not caring if he was truly sorry or he was just acting.
He nodded.
"Did you know that the Bloody Baron killed the Grey Lady?".
"No, I didn't" he replied quietly "I realized it only now. Isn't it funny? Another Slytherin who fell for a Ravenclaw...".
"And killed her" Evelyn concluded giving him a knowing look.
He sighed shaking his head "I would never kill you. I mean it".
His hands reached for hers. She didn't have the strength to shove him away.
"So...is the Grey Lady the daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw?" He asked carefully.
Evelyn swallowed hard and nodded.
"Then she could know where the lost diadem is" he whispered with a new excitement.
She crossed his greedy eyes and just nodded again.
Tom sighed and pulled her closer "We have the holidays for focusing on that. For now I want you to feel better. It hurts me seeing you like this. Specially because it's my fault".
"I just need some rest" she said moving to stand up and he quickly anticipated her to help her up.
"Of course" he gave in "But can you forgive me?".
She observed him, tired of feeling confused by his sudden changes of mood.
"Sure" she said lightly "So we can do some research together tomorrow?".
The proposal made him smile "That sounds great".

They spent the next days amongst old books, as if they didn't argue. Evelyn realized that it was nonsense keeping fighting over everything and she was glad they had some common interests that allowed them to spend time together.
Hogwarts was almost deserted. Only few students and teachers stayed for the holidays. For Evelyn the castle was more enjoyable.
The following day was Christmas.
Evelyn woke up early although she wished to take her time and ended up checking some history books in her common room.
"What are you doing?".
She was so lost into deciphering some yellow pages in Old English that she didn't hear the door opening.
"Have you become a Christmas present or is it the way you read when you're here?" Tom stepped into the room that was forbidden to him, his eyes staring at her, who jumped down from the sofa she was lying on.
"What do you mean? Ever read lying on your bed?".
"Surely I'm not such a lovely vision as you were" his insolent gaze made her blush "Why don't you lay your feet on the table also when we are reading together? It would be a great way to distract me and you're best way to make me ruin your reputation in public once and for all".
She rolled her eyes "Merry Christmas to you too, Tom. Can you step out of here before we get in troubles because of your excitement?".
"Sure. I came all this way to walk you to breakfast and I couldn't imagine that there was a great sight just behind the door".
She scoffed at him and pushed him out of her tower, then they walked together to the Great Wall, that was breathtakingly decorated for Christmas, for the joy of the few people who remained in the castle.
"You can sit here with me" Tom pushed her to the Slytherin table "You are also a Slytherin after all".
She glanced with some nostalgy at her table. She felt out of place amongst the few Slytherin students, although Tom picked some isolated seats.
Soon the owls flew into the Hall bringing presents.
Evelyn watched surprised several boxes falling in front of her and felt a bit ashamed to see that Tom got nothing.
She started to unwrap a colorful, little box that caught her attention and looked for the card.
"Walpurga?" She read perplexed and glanced at Tom, who just shrugged.
Inside the box there were some make up items that Evelyn wasn't sure she would ever use.
"Did you tell her to do this? What did she give you?".
Tom rolled his eyes "I got nothing from her. I told her to love you more than she loves me, you were there when I told her that. I'm not responsible for whatever she decides to do. Although I wouldn't mind to see you wearing some red lipstick".
Evelyn sighed. She didn't feel comfortably with the idea of how he was giving orders to the other students, who were scared enough of him to do whatever he told them.
"What a big pack" Tom commented blankly nodding to the bigger box that she knew was from her family.
"I'm sure it's more package than anything" she started to unwrap the envelope "At least they always sent useful equipment for school".
"And a lovely set of potions" he added opening a wooden box "Luckily they didn't send any poison".
Evelyn scowled at him for his cutting remark, then saw his name on a separated package.
"There is also something for you" she warned handing him a pack.
"For me?" He asked confused.
"Yeah, there's also this card with your name on it" she gave him also that, watching with a little amusement his upset expression.
Tom unwrapped carefully the pack, to reveal some fine clothes, much more better than the poor few ones that he owned.
"Did you tell them that we were back together?" He asked with a cautious look.
She shrugged "I didn't even tell them clearly that we broke up last summer. I don't keep them updated about that side of my life".
Tom pondered his present with a troubled look. And Evelyn understood the paradox behind it. Tom was the responsible of making her aunt and uncle losing their only daughter. They didn't know it and they were so kind to buy some presents also for him, who in exchange was also keeping their niece away from them.
"I also have something for you" Evelyn announced to distract both of them from the gloomy thoughts. She placed a purse into his hand.
He winced feeling the weight of it and opened it.
"Money?" He said bewildered.
"It's a part of my savings" she explained.
Tom swallowed and gave her purse back "I can't accept it, Evelyn. After all we've been through, you shouldn't care to give me presents".
"Why not? I thought it could be a way to fix the things between us".
"And I have nothing to give you" he added bitterly "Please, don't make me feel so ashamed. I appreciate your thought, but I can't accept money from you. I know I'm poor, but when I need some money my Knights can provide it for me. I don't want anything from you".
"So you are making me feel useless compared to your Knights?" She said offended "I thought that since I didn't know what else I could buy to you, I could share some of my money so you could buy whatever you need. Since we are together, I wanted to prove you that I want it to work so I trust you to share with you what I own".
"I do appreciate this. But there's no need to give me money that I would spend to buy something for you because I want it to be a fair trade".
Evelyn opened her mouth to reply, but Tom straightened his back looking at someone approaching them.
"My favourite couple" Slughorn said in a cheerful way patting his hands on their shoulder "I'm sorry to interrupt you. I saw you two here all alone so I passed by to say merry christmas and to invite you to an impromptu party in my office tonight. You have no excuses to avoid it this time, miss Burke".
She forced a smile and glanced at Tom, who with his charming smile replied "It's so kind of you, sir. We are pleased to accept".
The professor looked like a happy kid "This is the best gift you could make to me. See you later then".
The two students watched him walking away, then Evelyn glanced perplexed at Tom "You're going to need my money to bring some present to his party".
He cursed under his breath "Tell me you are kidding. He just said that the best gift was join him in his party".
She shrugged stifling a laugh "I would have preferred buying him some expensive gift instead of going to his party".
"So you don't want to go at the party with me?" He said with disappointment.
"I didn't say that. I said that I could think of better ways to use my time".
"I spoke for you too" he added bitterly.
"Yes, because I wanted you to. Cheer up, you keep the money and we are going to enjoy Slughorn's Christmas party" she placed her purse into his hand and closed his fingers on it.
"I agree with you. I had better plans for our time" he sighed resignedly.