Chapter 42

"It had the form of a small, naked child, curled on the ground, its skin raw and rough, flayed-looking, and it lay shuddering under a seat where it had been left, unwanted, stuffed out of sight, struggling for breath"

HP7

~~~~~~~~~

Evelyn wanted to throw something against the door just after Tom closed it behind him.
He broke her heart again. She thought it was impossible, but he just succeeded. She cursed loudly, letting tears stream down her face.
She also blamed herself because she always knew deep inside that he was incapable of love, still she hoped that years together could change him, that he stabbed himself to bring jer back because he cared of her, not because he still needed his job in the shop.
She blamed his parents for abandoning him, so Tom was forced not to know love in his most delicate first years.

Evelyn sat on the floor, in her mind echoed the sound of his voice when in the forest in Albania he called his mother in his sleep. A weak, begging voice that was hardly the usual tone of Tom Riddle.
He was just a baby who needed his mother and the love of a mother as any other baby in the world.
Evelyn sobbed as she regretted giving him the poison, when she now needed it.
She cursed herself for believing in a normal future, where they could build a family together. But what kind of father Tom could ever be? When coldblooded he killed his own father? When he was devoting himself to the dark arts? When he wasn't capable of love? Maybe he would have liked to raise a kid, as a captain trains a soldier. But probably the child would be a Parselmouth too, so Evelyn would have been destined to be locked out from the family. Or the child would turn against his dark father and destroy him.
No, there was no possible future, Evelyn realized.
It had to end somehow.
Voldemort won and she didn't want give him the pleasure of keeping her as his puppet.

Evelyn crawled to the bed and took the locket into her hands, lingering with her memories of Salazar, when he wanted her to stay with him. She wondered if he would have been capable of giving her what she wanted better than his descendant could ever do.
She kissed the locket, it was useless to regret an occasion she had lost years ago.

It wasn't easy to take a definitive decision.
Evelyn walked out of the flat. It was late afternoon when she stepped into her uncle's shop, that he just closed.
Luckily Tom wasn't around.
"Evy, what's wrong?" Caractacus asked sensing that something was out of place, no matter if she had washed her face with cold water and forced a smile to pretend that everything was alright.
"Things are changing and in the right way hopefully, so I wouldn't say it's wrong" she said trying to laugh, but a weird sound came from her so she gave up "I broke with Tom, so I'm leaving. He's too much in love with dark arts, so there's no place for me with him. I suggest you to fire him. He started stealing items from you".
His shocked face made her giggle inside, but for a moment she feared he would believe that she was drunk or turned crazy.
"What did he steal?" He grumbled taking a defensive posture.
Evelyn noticed that she still had the ring Tom had worked hard to get it  for her. She gave it to her uncle.
"It doesn't matter what they are. He can't give them back to you, uncle. I'm sorry that you have to lose your two assistants at the same time, but I can't stay here. I need to change. A big change in my life".
Her words made the old wizard look very sad "And where will you go?".
She shrugged, smiling with tears in her eyes "I don't know yet. Don't I have the whole world for me? Life is so short and there's so much to discover out there. Just don't worry about me, okay?".
She offered her hands and her uncle grabbed them with a tight grip eyeing her with worry "Are you sure? Is there something more you are not telling me? Evy, I've never seen your hair of that black. Jet black".
"I'm broken hearted and I don't know what my future will be. Stop worrying please" she leaned closer to him and hugged him "Please take care of yourself. You need a new assistant. Make sure you find a good one. And thank you. Thank you for all you've done for me for all these years. I'm sure my father too would be so proud and grateful for everything you've done".
Caractacus shivered and grabbed her by her shoulders "Evy! Why are speaking like this? You won't come back?".
"I don't know, uncle. But these are words that I should have told you before. I never thanked you enough".
"Evy, it was my pleasure to help you. You are the family I never had. If I lose you, I lose everything".
"You can't lose me, as long as there's room for me here" she placed her hand on his chest, above his heart "Please, say goodbye to Milly's parents for me. They would trap me into the Ministry if I tell them that I'm leaving".
Caractacus tried to stop her, but she was in a hurry.