Chapter 31

"There he showed his contempt for anything that tied him to other people, anything that made him ordinary. Even then, he wished to be different, separate, notorious"
HP6

~~~~~~~

Evelyn didn't know in which era she wished to wake up into. When she opened her eyes and her mind struggled to understand where she was, she recognized her room on the Ravenclaw tower. And a flood of ideas stormed into her mind. School, subjects, classes, exams, prefect duties and so on. And she was back with Tom.
Her sore body followed the routine, got dressed, tidied her bed silently for not waking up her roommates, then she hurried to leave her tower and get busy with her school life.
But as soon as she stepped out of her common room, she found a Slytherin boy waiting for her right out of the door.
"Here you are at last. Good morning" Tom said, his smirk widening as he noticed her shock.
Evelyn almost decided to step back into her common room to avoid him. Instead she crossed her arms and snapped "What are you doing here?".
"I was waiting for you" he said pointing out that it was obvious.
"Here? Where everyone can see us?".
Tom glanced around themselves, but nobody was close to them "Where are the viewers?".
She scoffed at him and tried to shove him away.
"I brought you some flowers" he announced, taking a small bundle of blue flowers from behind his back. It surprised her enough to make her forget that she didn't want to be seen with him.
She gaped, keeping the lovely words that almost dropped from her lips. Then she frowned when she took them into her hands for a closer look "Where did you find them?".
"I noticed that you liked them, so...well, I took some of them from our latest adventure" he confessed.
Evelyn gasped shocked "You brought them from the past! Can you understand how dangerous it could have been?".
"But they didn't even wither! Look how fresh and alive they are. And you also brought mud, dust and hay in your hair and that wasn't a problem!".
Evelyn closed her eyes for a moment to control her anger. They couldn't argued over flowers.
"Alright" she sighed "Ehm... Thank you then".
"I could plant some of them. I tore the roots and I was planning to grow them into some pot".
"Oh please. Tom the Gardener?" She smiled at him with incredulity.
"I can do it, if it pleases you".
She watched the flowers to avoid his intriguing stare "You slept here, didn't you?".
"No, I stayed in my room. You can ask Lestrange if you don't believe me".
She rolled her eyes "Fine. So what do we do now? You came to say good morning, but I guess you have a busy schedule as I do".
"We have our first classes together, so what's the matter if I walk you to breakfast and then to our classes?".
"Just to make a show of it?".
"No, because I want to be with you" he said firmly "And I'm not ashamed of being seen with you as you are of being seen with me".
"Of course because until yesterday morning you were seen with that Black girl".
"Well you saw that I got rid of her. You are free to slap me as much as you want if you'll ever catch her trying to approach me again".
She gave him a puzzled look, then decided that keeping arguing was useless.

It was awkward to walk down to the Great Hall with him again. She admired the wonders of that castle with new eyes. And something she imagined seeing Salazar's ghost watching them from some staircases.
"How do you feel?" Tom asked to break the silence and catch her attention "I mean, any symptom of a possible...?".
She scowled at him, the topic was making her feel sick "I think I need to eat something, then if I'll vomit on your legs we can start to seriously worry".
He showed a little amused smile mixed with irritation "I've been thinking... That our time travel would have killed any possible embryo. It would be a paradox, wouldn't it? A baby who is centuries old".
She looked at the flowers he gave her "I have another paradox in my hands too then. These flowers are centuries old and still they are fresh and beautiful as I remember them in the past".
He disliked her observation, but stopped insisting on that matter.
She placed the flowers in his hands before they stepped into the Hall and took different paths to reach their tables.
"So is that true?" Kat welcomed her, impatient to deal with gossip "You and Riddle are back together?".
Evelyn played with her food, mentally cursing Tom for pushing her into that kind of troubles.
"Yeah, let's say we are trying to fix things" she mumbled.
"Am I wrong or some nights ago in our little chitchat you said you wouldn't be ever back with him?" Kat teased keeping glancing between her and Tom, who was quietly eating his meal without anyone pestering him with questions about his private life.
"I was wrong" Evelyn said pretending little interest.
Adele leaned towards her "Why do you look so... I don't know... Uneasy? He keeps glancing at you but you clearly avoid looking at him. You don't fully agree with being back with him?".
Evelyn scowled at her and recalled that Tom was able to read her friends' mind to learn about their chats.
"It's just unexpected and new" Evelyn said hurriedly "What should I do? Kissing or snogging at the doorstep?".
"Hell yes" Kat replied quickly with a malicious grin.
Evelyn sighed "I'm just so worried for the final exams. The term is almost over and there is also that bloody Apparition lesson just before Christmas...".
"We all are worried for that" Adele pointed out "But at least you fixed your relationship status while I'm still single".
Evelyn resisted to the need to cover her face with her hands.