Chapter 22

"I'd much rather stay at Hogwarts than go back to that - to that -"
"You live in a Muggle orphanage during the holidays, I believe?" said Dippet curiously.
"Yes, sir," said Riddle, reddening slightly.
"You are Muggle-born?"
"Half-blood, sir," said Riddle. "Muggle father, witch mother."
"And are both your parents -?"
"My mother died just after I was born, sir. They told me at the orphanage she lived just long enough to name me - Tom after my father, Marvolo after my grandfather."
HP2

~~~~~~~~

Evelyn didn't know much about the Muggle London. She studied the few maps she found at home to find her route from the Leaky Cauldron to her target.
Finally she was ready to put her plan into practice. She wore weird clothes trying to look like the women from the muggle brochures she got from her uncle in Knockturn Alley, then on a sunny morning she sneaked out of the Magic London to step into the Muggle world.
She avoided checking the reactions of the muggles she crossed in the streets. Her worry vanished when she stopped in front of a set of iron gates.
She looked up at the sign. Whool's orphanage.
That was the place.
Evelyn inhaled deeply, then stepped into a poor courtyard and reached the steps that led her to the front door.
She composed herself and knocked loudly.
A thin girl in a simple gray dress opened widening her eyes. For a moment Evelyn thought of Myrtle and felt uncomfortable.
"Hi" Evelyn said with a smile "I sent a letter to speak to mrs Cole. I'm here for Tom Riddle".
The girl widened her eyes even more and Evelyn noticed that she also blushed.
"Sure... Come in" the girl stammered and stepped aside to let her in, her eyes lingering on Evelyn's clothes.
Evelyn disliked the black and white tiles of the corridors, but was soon distracted by an old woman approaching her.
"Oh, miss Burke, I presume? Nice to meet you" she took Evelyn's hand, shaking it "I lead you to his room. I didn't warn him, just like you asked. And thank you for your donation. It won't be forgotten".
"My pleasure" Evelyn said distractly, following impatiently the woman in that maze of identical doors and corridors, until she stopped in front of a door and knocked loudly.
Evelyn noticed that the thin girl she met at the front door followed th as a shadow. For a moment Evelyn wondered if it was a bad idea making a surprise to Tom just to get a bad surprise.
The woman opened the door without waiting for a reply "Tom, a visitor for you".
Tom was lying on the bed with a book in his hand and jumped up with an angry face that turned into shock when he recognized Evelyn.
She didn't get the chance to say hi. He approached her with few long steps and pulled her into the room, slamming the door in the woman's face.
"You? Here?" He hissed his eyes widened in surprise, catching her attention while she observed the small, empty room. Definitely too small for the Heir of Slytherin.
"I promised you that I wouldn't abandon you here" she said with a smile.
He lowered his head and she noticed thay he was wearing the same simple grey clothes of the other orphans "You shouldn't see this filthy place. I didn't expect for you to come so soon".
"So do you want to stay here for some more weeks?" She grabbed his hands "Tom, I've read some of the muggle newspapers and I don't feel safe it here for you. I spoke to my aunt and uncle and they are more than happy to welcome you at home. And I beg you, don't let me stay alone with them anymore. It's still anguishing for all of us".
He looked at her with a softened face "So I can leave this place now?".
"Yes. I already dealt with Mrs Cole too. You are free to come with me".
"You did this for me?" He whispered softly.
She nodded and he wrapped her in a hug that caught her by surprise.
"I help you packing your things" she offered to get out of that awkward moment.
"There's not much to pack. I already kept everything ready for leaving" he moved to his iron bed and pulled out his suitcase. He threw in it some clothes and books from the wardrobe, then took Evelyn's hand, leading her out of the room.
He was clearly impatient to leave that unpleasant place. He didn't greet anyone, he only stopped when they stepped into the streets of the city.
"So we are free" he breathed deeply in relief "What shall we do?".
"I wouldn't mind to explore the muggle London with you" she leaned on his arm with a broad smile.
"Alright. Let me drop my things at the Leaky Cauldron, then I'll take you to a tour in this muggle world".
She agreed and enjoyed to step back into her world for a moment. Then Tom offered her his arm and led her in the muggle roads.
"Do I look like a normal muggle girl? I even asked advice for the clothes".
"You are far too beautiful for being a muggle girl. You don't look suspicious, although you are walking with me" he nodded to his poor clothes.
"I think it's fair. I am walking with a handsome boy, who could be suspicious?" She smiled getting a smile back.
Tom wasn't a patient tourist guide. There weren't many places he was close too and he believed most of the buildings and monuments were unworthy for the eyes of magic people.
He stopped only to make her taste some muggle ice cream and buy a black notebook.
"Do you dislike our magic shops?" She asked watching him giving his last muggle coins to the shopkeeper.
"Call it a souvenir" he let the small notebook fall into his pocket "It will become something more valuable after I've used it".