Chapter 13

"Lately our conversations end like it's the last goodbye
Yeah, one of us gets too drunk and calls about a hundred times
So who you been calling, baby, nobody could take my place
When you're looking at those strangers, hope to God you see my face

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Out of your life

And I'm just a dead man walking tonight
But you need it, yeah, you need it
All of the time

Youngblood
Say you want me
Say you want me
Back in your life

So I'm just a dead man crawling tonight
'Cause I need it, yeah, I need it
All of the time

You push and you push and I'm pulling away
Pulling away from you
I give and I give and I give and you take, give and you take

You're running around and I'm running away
Running away from you, from you"

Youngblood, 5 Seconds of Summer

~~~~~~~~~

"I have something for you" Riddle announced after she already said goodnight after their patrolling shift.
He reached her and turned around her wrapping something around her neck.
Evelyn grabbed the thing before he could lock it "What are you doing?".
"You don't like it?".
She watched the old necklace she had into her fist "I like it. But what does it mean?".
She forbid to Vincent to make her such gifts, she couldn't accept them from others.
"Give it the meaning you want. Is here any law that forbid me to give you a gift?" He smirked in a way that she made her turn diffident.
"I am more concerned with your real intentions".
"It's just a friendly small gift. How could that be a menace?".
"Are you used to give gifts to every girl?" She handed the necklace to him.
"What's that supposed to mean?" He said looking offended.
"I don't know. You tell me".
He inhaled deeply and looked at the necklace into her hand "If you don't want it, don't give it back to me. Just throw it away. But please, appreciate the thought".

Before she could think of something to say, he walked away, leaving her alone with that odd necklace.
She rushed into her room and exanimated the jewel.
She was quite sure there was some trick inside it. Was it a way to spy her? To read her mind? She considered it anything except a simple gift. Because why Riddle would have given her a gift? She refused any expensive gift from Vincent, she didn't want sparkling jewels she wouldn't enjoy to wear. And now she had to take an old necklace from Riddle. Where did he steal it? She knew he was too poor to afford jewels. Why giving it to her?
In the end her solution was to send that necklace to her uncle asking what he thought of it. And he revealed that it wasn't just an old necklace, but a valuable one very popular in eighteenth century.
Is it was valuable why didn't Riddle sell it to get some money, knowing that he lacked of money?
Some days she waited for him to ask her for some money, but he didn't even care to ask her what she did with the necklace.
He just checked thay she didn't wear it as she never wore any other jewel except her uncle's pendant.

Neal distracted her by wrapping an arm around her shoulder before Vincent could reach her.
"We missed you a lot during today's lesson of Potion" he said winking.
"Why?".
Vincent pushed his best friend away to replace him "We dealt with the amortentia today. Guess who did I smell?".
"Slughorn's armpit?".
They all burst out laughing.
She wrestled against Neal's arm that tried to pull her to him.
"That's my girl. Vince, when's your next date with lovely Horace?".
Vincent scowled at him, then took the girl away from his reach "I smelt flowers and soap. No doubts it was you".
She stepped away from him too "Well, just don't play with that sort of potions".
"We don't need a love potion, now do we?" Vincent whispered to her ear.
"Actually Vince mentioned he'd like to give you some amortentia to get a real kiss from you" Neal announced loudly.
"Neal, you bloody..." Vincent tried to hit him with anger, but Neal avoided him and pulled the girl away from him.
"Evy, you're really torturing him. He can even kiss a portrait just for practice and imagining it's you" Neal scolded her.
"Neal, that's none of your business" Vincent barked.
"Sure. I just want to help my best friends".
"And you're not so helpful" Vincent replied blushing.
"We can make a bet" Neal announced gathering his other mates "Who will get a real kiss from her. But she must be willing to the kiss. Otherwise it would be cheating. And the kiss is already a big reward".
"That's really an awful bet, Neal" Evelyn said disgusted, catching an imploring glance from Vincent that made her feel more uncomfortable.
"That's genial" Neal stated proudly "You want to kiss me so badly, don't you, Evy? I always knew it".
She scowled at him, then noticed Riddle's stare from a corner while none of the boys cared of his presence.
"Stop deceive yourself, Neal. Now if you excuse me, I have duties to do".
"Sure. Goodnight, miss Prefect".
Vincent looked at her remorseful and hopeful at the same time, but his friends dragged him away from her.
"You're not getting a goodnight kiss tonight. You have to work hard for that and it means you need some good rest".
Evelyn felt numb to their laughs.
Riddle approached her without commenting and together they walked to the floor they had to patrol.