Chapter 4: "I Said, You Look Cute."

status: unedited

status: unedited

▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪

I have to jog a little to keep up with Five's fast pace. I glance sideways at him. He seems so different to the adorably funny boy in the park. The Five here is silent and you get the feeling he wants you to shut up.

"Stop staring, Y/N," he instructs without looking in my direction. I flush bright red. He wasn't even looking at me! "S-sorry."

He stops abruptly in front of a door at the end of the corridor. "Here," he holds the doorknob before continuing, "You're not allowed to touch my stuff." "As if I'd want to," I roll my eyes. A ghost of smirk flits across his face but it disappears in an instance.

He opens the door slowly, as if it's a portal to another dimension. I say nothing, trying not to infuriate him. I go inside the room hoping for some intense surprise but my expectations are not met.

The bedroom is spotless, not a crease on the bed or a chip on the cupboard. It looks as though nobody has lived in it. I remain quiet as I take it all in.

I turn to Five. His expression is unreadable, but there seems to be a tiny bit of uncertainty in his eyes although he is trying hard to mask it. It's... kinda cute actually. Five looks like the kid he's supposed to be.

I remain silent, hiding my thoughts and he frowns. The raven haired boy divides the bed into two with the bolster before saying "This is your side," he points to a miniscule portion of the bed. "What?! That's tiny! I can't sleep there!"

"Well you're going to have to," he replies unkindly. Five snatches up something from the cupboard and walks briskly out of the room. I flop onto my section of the bed, wondering what I could have done wrong to annoy him so much. Eventually, I doze off.

A few hours later, I hear a bell clanging. Realising it must be the dinner bell, I head downstairs. The table is set with nine places and I take a seat at one of them. Soon, the others begin to fill up the chairs.

I shrink into my seat, feeling out of place in my jeans and t-shirt while surrounded by the crisp uniforms of everyone else. Everyone takes their places, chatting excitedly. Five sits next to me without saying a word. Klaus sits on the other side of me and greets me cheerily.

Just then, Reginald Hargreeves enters the room and the atmosphere changes entirely. Previously it was happy and relaxed, now it is tense and cold. Mom brings out the platters of food and lays them on the table. "You may begin," Sir Hargreeves announces.

Throughout the meal, everyone is quiet. I make eye contact with Ben, who is seated in front of me and raise my eyebrows. He looks at Reginald who is engrossed in a book. In a whisper, Ben says "You're not allowed to talk during mealtimes."

"Exactly," Klaus chips in. "Why?", I ask, confused. For no reason, Five looks over at the three of us and orders "Shut up." I fold my arms over my chest and sulk but giggle softly when I see Klaus mimicking him. I resume gobbling up the food and realise it is the best I have ever had, mouthwatering and scrumptious.

After dinner, Reginald leaves the room. Ben and Klaus nod at each other and immediately grab my hands, pulling me to their room.

"Guys, what the hay? What are you doing?", I ask nervously. "We're gonna give you an introduction to the Umbrella Academy," said Ben. "Since Five obviously hasn't," finished Klaus.

I sigh and agree to listen to them. Taking turns, they each list down the rules of the Academy.

1. No talking during mealtimes.

2. Missions must be conducted in stealth and without harming people if possible.

Here I interrupt them with a question. "Wait, missions? What?" The two males share a secret glance before saying in sync "The Umbrella Academy trains people with powers to be an efficient crime fighting team!"

I clap my hands over my mouth and exclaim, "That's epic!" "I know right?", Klaus says excitedly. Ben laughs before continuing to state the rules.

3. Training must be done without argument.

4. The orders of Reginald Hargreeve are not to be questioned.

5. The Academy students receive one hour of relaxation daily. Two hours on weekends.

6. Wake-up time is 6 a.m. and bedtime is 9.30 p.m.

7. The only clothes permitted are the Umbrella Academy uniform and pajamas.

"Wow. This place has a lot of rules." "Yep," Ben mutters. Klaus looks at the clock and gasps, "O-M-G! It's already 7.30! I'm sorry guys,
but I have to go conduct my nightly facial routine." Ben and I roll our eyes but wave him off.

I stand up, saying "I should probably go shower too. Thanks for the intro, Ben." He smiles kindly at me "No problem." I stroll out the room and down the corridor.

Pausing before I enter Five's room, I hesitantly knock the door.

"Come in if you have to, although I would rather you go away," comes the jovial reply.

Sick of Five's rubbish I burst through the door, apathetic to what he might think. He looks up from his novel, surprised when he sees me. "Why hello there Y/N." "Hello," I greet him stiffly.

I'm about to rummage through the tall cupboard when I realise this isn't my house. That means... I have no clothes, specifically pajamas.

Blushing bright red, I turn to Five and ask shyly "Five, do you have any pajamas I can borrow?" He stares at me incredulously. "I-i'm sorry - I normally wouldn't ask but - see I have no clothes here and so-", I blurt.

He shakes his head and grins fleetingly "I can lend you some." "Really?" Excitement and gratitude bubble up in me. He stalks over to the wardrobe and pulls out a large t-shirt and a pair of boxer shorts. I grab them from him, squealing "Thank you thank you thank you!" He chuckles and plops onto the bed to read his book.

I shuffle over to the bathroom which is thankfully empty. Changing into the pajamas, I notice they're a little big. Well, beggars can't be choosers I guess.

I head back to the bedroom to show Five. When I step in, his eyes widen at my appearance. Suddenly insecure, I ask "What? Do I really look that bad?" I had grown up with my mother taunting me about my beauty, or lack thereof.

Five rubs the back of his neck and mutters something. "I can't hear you." "I said, you look cute," he repeats. His cheeks flush and he looks away. I pat his head and thank him.

After a couple of awkward minutes Five finally breaks the tension and says "We should probably sleep now." "Yeah."

I lie on my tiny corner of the bed and rub my tired eyes. It's been a pretty exhausting day. "Y/N? I'm going to move the bolster a little bit so you have more space, okay?"

I grin at him in agreement and he does what he promised. "Night Five," I say sleepily. "Goodnight, Y/N. Sweet dreams."