Chapter 19: "Well, It Would If You Were Smarter."

status: unedited

status: unedited

▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎ ♡ ▪︎

Allison

Five slams two slices of bread and a knife onto the table "What's the date? The exact date." His tone is clear and cool, as if he didn't just fall out of a blue portal. "The 24th," Vanya timidly speaks up. "Of what?" "March." He sighs, and I hear the relief in his voice "Good."

All five of us are sitting around or on, in Klaus' case, the kitchen table, our gazes fixated on Five. It's as though we fear that if we look away for even a second, he'll disappear again.

"So, are we going to talk about what just happened?", Luther asks. "It's been seventeen years," he continues. Five moves closer to Luther with a intense glare and scoffs "It's been a lot longer than that," before teleporting past him to get the packet of marshmallows from the shelf. Luther mumbles under his breath "I haven't missed that."

"Where did you go?", Diego queries while twirling one of his knives. "The future. It's sh¡t, by the way." He spacial jumps back to the table and places the packet next to the bread. Klaus suddenly puts a finger up "Called it!" Five continues "I should have listened to the old man. Jumping through space is one thing, jumping through time is a toss of the dice." The boy opens the fridge and takes out a jar of peanut butter.

As he unscrews the lid, he looks up and compliments Klaus "Nice dress." Obviously pleased, Klaus replies "Oh! Well, danke!" Vanya gets us back on track by asking confusedly "Wait, how did you get back?" Without glancing at her, he replies "In the end I had project my consciousness forward into a suspended quantum state version of myself that exists across every possible instance of time." All of us are still silent. I'm trying to wrap my head around Five's explanation when Diego states "That makes no sense."

"Well, it would if you were smarter," Five deadpans. Diego stands up, actually ready to fight a sixteen-year-old boy and Luther has to put out a hand to stop him. Meanwhile, I'm just attempting to hold back my laughter at Diego's antics.

"How long were you there?", Number One asks. "Forty-five years. Give or take," Five says in a tone that implies he doesn't care. "Wow," I let the syllable slip from my mouth. Luther and Diego drop back into their seats with shock. "S-so what are you saying? That you're 58?" Five glowers, annoyed, at him and says "No, my consciousness is 58. Apparently my body is now 16 again." "Wait, how does that even work?", Vanya questions.

Five takes a bite of his now complete fluffernutter sandwich "Delores kept saying the equations were off. Eh. Bet she's laughing now," he shrugs his shoulders. I'm burning with curiosity, and tempted to ask who Delores is, but I keep my mouth shut. Vanya, however, isn't so thoughtful. "Delores?" Five simply hums in reply before picking up the newspaper on the table.