Chapter 12: "That's One Badass Stapler!"

status: unedited

status: unedited

▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪ ♡ ▪

1 year later...
(Age: 10 Mentality: Teenager)

RINGGGGG!!!

The alarm bell sounds sharply. All of us students of the Umbrella Academy look at each other in shock and surprise. I mean, Reginald had said we were ready for our first mission, but nobody had believed he really meant it.

Five's dark green eyes meet mine and a hint of fear is visible in them. He's been worrying about messing up the mission ever since Mr Hargreeves mentioned it. I grin comfortingly at him and the corner of his mouth quirks up in a slight smile.

I share similar glances with the others. In the two years that I've been here, I've bonded with the other children through shared birthdays and rare quiet moments.

Diego confided in me about his stutter and Ben admitted that he believes he's nothing but a villainous monster. Klaus confessed that he doesn't really feel attracted to girls only; he falls for the personality of people, not the body they were gifted with. Vanya says she herself has come to believe that there is nothing unique or special about her as Reginald drills that into her head daily.

The only people I don't really click with are Luther and Allison. It's probably because I once asked them if their not-so-secret relationship was incestuous. Luther finds it annoying that I occasionally question his leadership, instead of just blindly going along with it. Allison thinks it's irritating that I'm apparently more 'popular' in the Umbrella Academy than her.

Just then, Vanya and Sir Reginald enter the room. She's carrying her clipboard as usual and Number Seven offers me a small thumbs up. Reginald glares at each of us through his monocle before beginning an emotionless speech.

"Students of the Umbrella Academy, as I have mentioned before, I believe you are all prepared to become the crime fighting team I have trained you to be. Thus I added the alarm which will ring whenever there is trouble in the city. While on the mission, do be careful. I would hate for you to ruin the reputation of the Academy before you can even do anything."

When he said 'be careful', I was shocked out of my wits. I thought he was worried about us, but of course he wasn't. I roll my eyes, not caring whether Mr Hargreeves sees.

Pogo, the extremely advanced chimpanzee steps forward, looking immaculate in a suit. It took me a while to get used to the idea of the only parental authority in my life being a robot and and a chimpanzee, but they love me more than Reginald or Mother ever could.