Run

Jorel's POV

"J, would you calm down?" Johnny asked.

"No. Why do you think you have to drive?" I snapped at him.

Jordan was in the hospital. How am I supposed to be calm? He's my calm. He's injured.

"Well, at least stop digging your fingernails into your skin," he said as he took my hand across the console. Although I've never really been attracted to him, holding George's hand soothed my nerves. It always did. He went back to driving and I went back to worrying.

Finally we got to the hospital. Going through the front desk and to Jordan's room was all a blur. When I saw him, I felt like time froze.

All I could do was stare. Stare at his motionless, pale figure. Seeing him lying in that hospital bed made me finally realize that this was real. He really had been beaten up. He really was in bad condition.

"He's on sedatives," I jumped at the voice of the nurse. I hadn't even seen her in the room. "So he won't be awake anytime soon. I'm sorry," she said before she left.

George took my hand again but the usual soothing that I get never reached me. I felt numb, nauseous, and sick. Johnny tried to lead me forward so we could sit at Jordan's side but I couldn't move.

"J?" He asked after realizing that I wasn't moving forward. All of a sudden I felt like crying. I don't like to cry, I learned when I was younger that it was a sign of weakness. I suppose I was weak right now.

"I can't do this George," I whispered, feeling a tear escape.

"Jorel.." He walked back to me and hugged me.

I felt like I should wrap my arms around him and let all of the tears loose. But I couldn't. I couldn't be so weak in front of him and I don't know why.

I pushed him away and ran out of the hospital room. I ran down the hall and down the steps, completely ignoring the elevators. When I got outside, I just kept running. Running like all my childhood memories taught me to.

I guess I always ran when things got too real for me. When I was a kid, I hung out with gang members because I had planned to be one. One of my pals had gotten seriously hurt in a fight and it was just me and him. I stayed with him as he grew weaker and paler. As pale as Jordan was. I held him until we heard the sirens. He told me to run. I've been running since.

Before I knew it, I was in our neighborhood. I couldn't face the guys, but I had no where else to go. So I went inside and rushed up the stairs. I heard Danny call for me but I ignored him. I went to my room and locked myself in.

I saw a lot of Jordan's things that he left in my room from when he slept with me. I picked it all up and shoved it under my bed. Sweatshirts, a guitar pick, bandana, and a pair of his underwear were now out of sight. I closed my blinds and paced back and forth in the room for what seemed like an hour.

There was a bang on my door eventually and I heard Johnny's muffled voice ask if I was okay. I didn't answer. I couldn't find my voice. I kept pacing. My heart felt like it was going to explode. All I could think was that my friend hadn't survived that attack.