001 ✧ midnight thoughts

MIDNIGHT THOUGHTS
chapter one

"still up? it's almost midnight, we have to leave early tomorrow you know." a voice said from behind
jungkook, who's deep in thought.

"yoongi hyung." jungkook responded in a whisper not expecting yoongi to be awake in this hour.

yoongi walked towards the younger and stood beside him in the balcony of his room. "you know you can tell me anything kook. is there something on your mind?." the younger avoided the question and directed his gaze at the stars blinking in the night sky instead, the older watching him with a worried gaze.

the pale man really wanted to know what have been bothering jungkook all this week. he may come off cold & emotionless most of the time, but he cares. and right now, he wanted to help the boy in any way he can.

"it's about father hyung." yoongi saw the sadness in the boy's eyes as soon as the words left his mouth. he already know what the younger meant by that, but he wanted to hear what jungkook wanted to say.

"what about him?" yoongi asked, fixing his position to stand in the same angle as jungkook. both boys are now leaning on the railing of the balcony eyes focused on the sky.

"i've always wondered, if i wasn't such a weakling would he show himself to me? would he care about me? would he be proud of me?" jungkook asked rethorically as he chuckled, his voice slightly shaking, and tears attempting to escape his eyes.

"kook, you know you're not a weakling and besides, we were already told about this when we were young. our fathers are not allowed to be with us. it's a rule." yoongi reasoned out.

"that's one stupid rule." yoongi heard jungkook said, but he ignored it silently agreeing.

he's not actually surprised that this was what have bothering jungkook all this time. when he first met jungkook, the boy always talked about how cool poseidon was and how badly he wanted to meet his cool dad.

therefore, jungkook tried everything to be noticed by his father. he trained hard, day and night just so he could be the strongest son of poseidon in the camp. he worked hard to be one of the quartet. he succeeded, he became one of the quartet along with the other three. they are his team. to his disappointment, he did not receive any word from his father. not "congratulations" and definitely not an "i'm proud of you".

so, when hermes arrived in the quartet's house with a letter, jungkook got so excited he's almost floating, but the letter wasn't just for him, it's for all of them. the paper contains the first mission given to them as the quartet by their fathers and jungkook is more than determined to prove himself more.

but, hell, how wrong he was. they failed, not once, not twice, countless times. it's like all the years of training have gone to waste. he didn't know how they fucked up all the missions given to them. he was very disappointed of himself he thought he might just go insane.

and so, another letter arrived. it was a message that tells how mad their fathers were at them and how disappointed they were in them. the gods told them how big of a disappointment they are, how worthless their existence are, and how they are not qualified to be called demigods, their sons, especially to be the quartet. the three didn't took it at heart, instead they made it a motivation.

but not jungkook, when he read the letter he cried, he cried so hard that even the sea felt his pain. his emotions were like a storm, chaotic and mad.

"stop thinking about it, okay? we'll be fine. we're going to nail this one and poseidon will be very proud of you." yoongi is not the type to comfort someone and definitely not a person of advice, but one of his friends needed one right now and for them, he'd do anything. "promise?" jungkook asked his hyung unsure.

"promise." when jungkook saw how yoongi smiled when he said that, he is convinced that his hyung is going to keep that promise considering that the son of hades rarely smiles. he might not have a father, but having a friend like yoongi is definitely something to be thankful for.

"now stop being a baby and rest. we're going to leave early tomorrow." yoongi jokingly said that made jungkook whine, but the boy smiles and nods nontheless.

with one last look, yoongi exited the maknae's room. he gently closed the door and released a sigh.

"how's kook, hyung?" yoongi was startled by the voice but he didn't show it.

"he's fine now, just thinking about the letter our fathers sent a month ago." hoseok nods at the answer he received. "why are you still up anyway?"

"i wanted to know what's bothering kook too."

"very well, go to your room now and rest. don't worry too much." before hoseok could respond to his brother, yoongi already started walking to his own room.

tomorrow is going to be a long day.

🕯

vote & comment