008 ✧ the red mare

THE RED MARE
chapter eight

it was midnight and they're supposed to be sleeping when the boys decided to have a meeting. the son of zeus, namjoon, their leader called the three other men to his room to exchange information on what had unfolded on their first day of classes.

"i have casted an invisible wind barrier. you do not have to worry about anyone overhearing this conversation. not even a seer can eavesdrop." the leader reassured the boys to which they responded with a relieved nod. the men were seated in a circle on the marble floor of the room. namjoon took out a piece of old paper from inside his bag. the paper looked like it's a page from a book that was saved from burning, but failed so half of it is missing.

"what's that?" the youngest of them asked, as he tried to take a clearer look on the paper resting between the older's fingers.

"me & yoongi have been exploring the library of the academy earlier. we were trying to find any form of document that could possibly explain what hoseok's dream meant, but we found this instead." namjoon laid the paper in the middle of the circle letting the others have a good look at it. hoseok slightly winces at the mention of the dream that he had been trying to erase in his mind the past few days. the dream that he was so afraid of because he doesn't know what it meant.

if he hated anything about his abilities, it is when he is not able to cast answers for the million questions in his mind. as a seer he isn't used to not knowing answers to his questions. it makes him frustrated, vulnerable, and pathetic.

"this must have been a part of a book, but considering how burned it is, chances are the document is nothing but ashes now." yoongi said. "however, what caught our attention is this specific line over here." he pointed at the utmost bottom of the paper. "it says for the day the phoenix will die, a red mare will rise from the ashes."

"what is that supposed to mean? a phoenix is still a phoenix even after rebirth." jungkook asked as he took the paper lying on the floor and  examined it himself for more clues or hidden messages, but there's none. he's beginning to feel anxious and with the encounter he had with taehyung and wonho earlier, he doesn't really want to think about anything else.

namjoon just looked at the boy's worried espression. feeling sorry that he can't provide answers to the younger.

he himself was confused. at first, he thought that this mission would be very easy, but now that they are actually here, he realized that he have underestimated the situation. there are so many questions, so many doubts, so many hesitations, but less answers to everything.

"it's a myth." hoseok whispered silently. this being the first time he had spoken a word since the beginning of their conversation. the three of the boys looked at him curiously, patiently waiting for what he has to say next. 

yoongi looked closely at his brother and noticed that hoseok didn't look or sound like himself again. ever since we arrived at the academy he isn't he's usual self anymore. "a myth?" yoongi asked for confirmation of what he had heard trying to divert his attention from worrying over his brother.

"yes. that is what our history class was about earlier. according to the myth the red mare is a powerful creature that is beautiful, but ferocious. no other being could tame the mare, not a god, not even a titan." hoseok paused for a moment. 

"except for one. the only being that could tame the red mare is someone who could command the gods and free the titans. someone who could create chaos that would destroy even the heavens. but that being has not been born yet. at least that's what the myth says." he looked at the three in front of him, who's now bearing an astonished expression.