Chapter 9. The Carpathian Mountains

"Mr. Walker"

"Mr. Walker"

The boys called out trying to catch up with their guide as they trudged up the mountain. Ethan Walker paused on his tracks, turned around to face the trainees who were trailing behind him. He sighed heavily and spoke in a very calm voice, mustering a smile "For the hundredth time people! Call me Ethan! Do I look 79 to you?" Everyone grinned at his comment.

Ethan Walker was a vibrant and affable personality who had managed to bag many achievements at such a young age. He had played a key role in launching different programs under DRAW. He had led the campaign against declawing dragons and his 'wiping the dragon tears', a movement against brutally extracting dragon tears for experimental purposes had stirred the entire magical community. He had penned an autobiography "Living with the dragons" which turned out to be a huge commercial success. He is quite a celebrity in the wizarding world.

"Where exactly are we Ethan?" Charlie asked curiously looking around, once they had all assembled under the shades of big old beech trees.

"We are in the Carpathian Mountains, in the heart of Romania which is home to varieties of magical creatures" Ethan stated, resting his hands on his hips.

"Legends have it that magic emanated in these sacred mountain ranges, thousands of centuries ago. The tribes which are believed to be the original inhabitants of the mountains practiced witchcraft and wizardry and are considered to be the primogenitors of us all" he said.

"Are there people still living around here?" Aiden asked.

"Well, It is believed that the members of the ancient tribes still inhabit the mountains but no wizard or witch who has explored these mountain ranges have claimed to have felt a human presence. So we can't say for sure" Ethan shrugged.

"The magical elements pervading these mountains are so powerful that none of us stand a chance in ruining its sanctity. It's unapproachable to the muggle community and indestructible by the magical community" Ethan said, taking the backpack off his shoulder and placing it on the ground. "Any questions?" he asked.

"What now?" asked Nathan, who didn't even look slightly impressed.

"The adventure!!" said Ethan, dramatically widening his eyes. "We are going to explore these mountains. Learn about some important magical herbs used in potions, collect a few dragon fossils and If we are lucky enough a dragon might show up" he said, grinning. "At night we'll return here and camp under the radiant moon light. So let us mark our spot" he said summoning ropes, tarps and stakes from his backpack "Gentlemen if you could please help" he said, getting to his feet and throwing the items at the boys one by one which they all caught. Within a few minutes they managed to hoist up three tents.

"Finally I get to meet a dragon today!!" Owen Chirped.

"Maybe it'll shake hands with you and invite you over for a cup of tea" Aiden mocked him.

"Ha ha really funny" Owen scowled at his friend.

"You have never seen a dragon before?" Charlie asked in disbelief.

"Nope" Owen admitted.

"Why?" Charlie asked curiously.

"What do you mean why? I haven't seen one either. Dragons are not household pets that you get to see often. How did you see one?" Aiden asked.

"That's a long story"

"What? We want to know" both boys demanded in unison.

"Ha. I thought I would take this to the grave but since you both are my best buddies I'd rather tell you the story"