Chapter 10. Hebridean black

Natalie struggled to open her eyes.

"Are you all right?" a voice asked. she wanted to nod but couldn't. Someone was holding her wrist and checking her pulse. "Natalie" the voice spoke again. Her eyes gently fluttered open. Her vision was blurred. Nevertheless, she could make out a freckled face with red curly hair, hovering above her.

"A.. am I d..dead?" she stuttered, her voice barely audible.

"You are fine" the person said. He was tilting her head left and right looking for possible injuries. She couldn't yet comprehend who the person was.

"Can you move your hands?" she did as she was told.

"Good. Now your legs" She moved her right leg but felt a lot of weight on her left one. She whimpered when she managed to move it an inch. The pain was excruciating.

"Careful now. I think we have one broken leg. Don't move it too much" The voice instructed. She was starting to find the voice oddly familiar. She blinked her eyes several times to get a clearer vision. A pair of chocolate brown eyes stared back at her. She gasped for air "Charles Weasley" she muttered and immediately got into a sitting position. She felt a bit dizzy and her hand automatically clutched her forehead "Lie down for a bit" Charlie commanded "I am fine" she said, without looking at him.

"Are you this stubborn always?" he asked, but she didn't reply. "You are lucky that you didn't fall on a rock or something. You had a rather safe landing"

She looked around and saw that she had indeed fallen on a heap of dry leaves.

"No head injuries" he stated "Although it wouldn't have made any difference" Charlie snorted, which made her scowl at him.

"I hate Gilbert" she said, trying to ball up her fist but immediately winced as her fingers refused to curve "Oww!!" she cried "let me see" Charlie said offering his hand. She glared at him and hesitantly placed her hand in his. He inspected it carefully and took his wand out of his jacket. "Now this may hurt a bit" he warned her. Every time he tried to raise his wand she kept pulling her hand back. "Would you stop doing that?" he asked, a bit irritated.

"Sorry" she muttered and closed her eyes. She bit her other hand to suppress the yelp, while he was mending her broken bones.

"It's done" he said "If only we had the essence of dittany" he mused, searching inside his pockets "No luck" he said "I have it" she said.

"Where?"

"It's in my backpack"

"Which is?"

"Oh, we left our backpacks in the tent, didn't we?"

"Oh did we?" he asked sarcastically.

"What now?" She asked, trying desperately to get up.

"What now.. Interesting question" he said, getting to his feet. "It seems like I am stuck with you! Merlin why? Me of all people??" he scowled, passing his hand through his hair.

"Why did you come looking for me then?" she asked now managing to get up. But her broken leg was not co-operating and she lost her balance. Charlie caught her just in time around the waist. For a moment they both stared at each other. She tried get out of his hold

"Your leg is broken. It needs to be mended. You can't walk. You are weak" he said.

"I am not weak! I can manage on my own" she said, pushing him away but the next second, she was on the ground.

She sensed tears welling up in her eyes but she didn't want to cry. The pain was becoming unbearable. She wanted to scream. But her ego wasn't letting her do that either. Tear drops fell into her lap as she sat there staring at the ground. Charlie scooched down beside her, looking at her intently. She looked away, wiping away the tears quickly with her sleeves. Now that he has proved his point he might be extremely happy she thought.