Chapter 13. The Hearing

Natalie trudged up the stairs to the uppermost floor where Mr. Alecsandri's office was situated. Marshall had offered to accompany her but she politely declined the offer, assuring him that she would be fine on her own. Her leg was still aching but she had more important things in her mind right now. She wondered who all would be present there at the hearing. She had no clue what usually would take place during hearings for she had never been to one. She stood before a big wooden door with aesthetic patterns carved upon it, raising her hand to knock, but just as she was about to do it, the door swung open and a smiling face of Mr. Ogden greeted her. "Come in" he said leading her inside.

It was quite a big and spacious room for an office with a giant mahogany table placed at the center. On the wall, portraits of several wizards were hanging, whom she assumed to be the ex-heads of the institute and on the wall behind Mr. Alecsandri's chair, exactly in the middle, stood a giant full length portrait of Warlock with a sword in his hand and a giant Hungarian horn tail lurking behind him.

"Please be seated Miss Scott" the gruff voice of Mr. Alecsandri seized her attention back to the center of the room where Mr. Alecsandri was seated on a high chair and beside him Mr. Levitsky with his jet black hair and blood shot eyes stared at her. On Alecsandri's right was Mr. Maxwell, who flashed a smile. On the opposite side, Nathan and Ezra were seated beside a man with mousy brown hair, whose face she couldn't see. The man turned to look at Natalie as she pulled the chair behind, to take a seat.

"Filip Ramsey" the man stood up and shook hands with Natalie. She felt uncomfortable while his shrewd eyes inspected her. She looked over at Nathan and Ezra seated next to Filip. Ezra quickly averted his eyes away and Nathan kept wiping his nose with a piece of cloth.

"Mr. Ramsey would be representing Mr. Gilbert and Mr. Zachary in this hearing" Mr. Alecsandri stated.

"Excuse me sir" Natalie interrupted.

"Yes Miss Scott"

"If Mr. Gilbert and Mr. Zachary get to represent their case by an attorney, in the interest of justice, wouldn't it only be fair if I get to represent my case by an attorney as well?"

"Fair point Miss Scott, but I am afraid we don't have any licensed attorney at the institute who haven't recused themselves from this case and we believe it isn't possible for you to hire one at such short notice, am I right?" Mr. Alecsandri asked.

"Then sir, can't this hearing be posted on a future date?" Natalie countered him.

"The rules and regulations of WICKED specifically require that any disciplinary action against the staff, trainers or trainees as the case may be, shall be taken within twenty four hours of the reported misconduct" he stated.

"This isn't misconduct sir! it is a grave offence!" she cried.

"I am sorry Miss Scott but that is for the head of this institute to decide. My clients here are innocents till your accusations have been proved" Mr. Ramsey spoke.

"Sir, if I may" came a familiar voice from the door behind them.

"Yes come in Mr. Walker" Alecsandri summoned him inside. Ethan walked in, taking quick breaths and he stood behind Natalie's chair "I would like to represent Miss Scott in this hearing" he said. Natalie saw him looking down at her, with a smile on his face.

"Are you licensed to do so Mr. Walker?" Levitsky asked.

"Yes sir" he said, taking a card out of his pocket and handed it over to Mr. Levitsky who carefully inspected it and handed over to Mr. Alecsandri "By department of law of the Norwegian Ministry of Magic" he added.