Chapter 11. Volares

Aiden tightened the grip on his wand. He kept looking back his shoulder every now and then. He had no idea where he was right now. When he and Charlie heard that Natalie was missing, they had split ways and went in search of her in different directions.

An eerie feeling crept in through his skin. It was noon, but the sunlight hardly entered that place. The area was secluded by enormous giant trees. A strange object zoomed past him. Aiden gulped and raised his wand. He shifted towards his right to make out what the creature was but it whizzed just past by his left shoulder, sending a jolt up his spine. Just as he was about to proceed further, his eyes got the glimpse of a long limbless silvery creature with wings which advanced right at him, sliding it's tongue out, hissing.

"Impedimenta" he shouted flicking his wand. The spell hit the creature. The creature shifted wildly as it fell on the ground hissing. Just then, another one attacked him from behind. He was fighting the flying snakes which he never realized existed till now. The one on the ground sank its fangs deep into Aiden's legs. He felt the surroundings twirl around him. His vision turned blurry, slowly fading away. He lost the grip on his wand and it fell to the ground, followed by an unconscious Aiden.

I wish I could see the world out there

I'm chained to the mountains oh it's so unfair

I want to feel their pain

And try to keep them sane

And heal those broken hearts

And mend those shattered parts

I wish I could see the world out there

I'm chained to the mountains oh it's so unfair

Aiden snapped his eyes open wide, his eye balls shifting left and right in panic. He jolted up wiping the sweat off his forehead. A sweet voice had summoned his consciousness back. He had no idea where he was or what he was doing on the ground. He got to his feet, grabbing his wand.

"Zdravo" Someone said in sweet voice. Aiden looked around but the place was completely deserted.

"Ovde Ovde" the sweet voice spoke to him again. He shifted his eyes up to find a white figure sitting on the branch of the tree. He blinked his eyes adjusting his vision. A young girl with reddish blond hair, wearing a long white dress smiled back at him. For a moment he thought he was staring at an ethereal being for her beauty was incredible and incomparable. She jumped down in front of him without a warning, which made him take a few steps backwards. Her long curls bouncing behind her. "I won't hurt you" she talked to him in a soothing voice, sensing the apprehension in his eyes.

She walked towards him "Your wound has been healed" she said, locking her eyes with him. Her hazel eyes were veiling an untold mystery of some sort.

"Wound?"

"You were bitten by a Volare" she said.

"Volare?"

"Yes volares. Snakes that can fly" she explained. Suddenly it hit him. The memory of the past event flashed through his mind. He had been standing face to face with a silvery flying creature and he had used the impediment jinx on it. It had bitten him on his leg. Suddenly he averted his eyes from her to his leg. She crouched down and inched his sock downwards. Two holes were gauged on his right leg just above the ankle. He looked up at her "It's a rather venomous creature" she mused "Female, the more aggressive ones" she added.

"Why am I still alive then?" He was totally confused.

"I found you just in time. You were going into a shock"