Chapter 35. The Nihilaturus

Charlie, Aiden and Owen ran through the narrow passages filled with prickly bushes. No one cared when their feet hit the stones or when their legs brushed against the thorns and bled.

Smoke emitted from a distance and it swirled up to the sky. Were the tribal people coming for them? What if they get caught? Would they hurt them?  Alter their memories? Captivate them? Kill them? They didn't know.

"Should we part ways?" Owen asked.

"Are you mad Owen?" Charlie yelled.

"It's best if we stick together" Aiden suggested "We don't know what we are about to face."

"Should we be scared?" Owen gulped.

"Won't do us any good" Charlie said "No matter what happens, we will stick together and face it bravely" There was determination in his tone.

"Down, now!" Aiden whispered, pulling them both down with him. They crouched down behind the tall bushes. Two men, in long white woolen cloth draped around them like a tunic, were standing in the shadow of a big oak tree. They were talking seriously in a language which sounded alien to the trio.

"Are they talking about us?" Owen asked, biting his nails nervously.

"They look angry, so probably yes" Aiden remarked.

"Why did you have to fight with that crow? Now look what it did?" Owen whined.

"First of all, it was a Raven and second of all Owen, I didn't fight with it. It attacked me. And third of all... wait... why am I even explaining all this to you?" Aiden rolled his eyes in frustration.

"Kraaaa"

Aiden's eyes widened in horror. Was the Raven back? He was too afraid to find out.

"Look I think it's the same Raven which attacked you Aiden" Owen stated. He was right. Aiden saw a familiar bird sitting on the branch of the tree nearest to them and staring at them, crookedly.

"He will give us away!!!!" Owen cried.

"Ssshh. now be quiet or you will be the one giving us away" Charlie shushed him.

The two tribal men moved forward, arguing between themselves. After walking a few steps, they parted ways and disappeared.

"phhhwwwt"

"Not now Owen" said Aiden.

"What did I do?" Owen scowled.

"Why are you whistling?"

"I did not!! Why don't you ever point fingers at Charlie? Maybe he did"

"Why would I?"  Charlie argued.

"I donno, bored?" Owen suggested.

"It's not a time to joke Owen" Charlie gritted his teeth. His blood was boiling. He couldn't explain what was happening inside him. He was sad, anxious, frustrated, angry, scared, disappointed. All there emotions were swirling inside him like a whirlwind.

"Phwwwwwt" they heard someone whistle again.

"See it wasn't me" Owen proved his point. The trio looked behind and above.

"Here" a sweet voice said "This way"

The Raven flew and  disappeared behind a tree. Charlie and Aiden quickly followed it. They saw it land on someone's shoulder. Someone with long curly hair. They turned around with a pleasant smile. Aiden's heart skipped a beat when he saw that graceful face once again. The one he couldn't forget since the last trip to this very mountain. The one that often kept appearing in his dream. The one he was waiting to see all these months. The one that brought him back to these mountains.