Chapter Eight

Sakura released a yawn as I walked by whilst carrying a toolbox full of various supplies for the bridge.

I chuckled to myself as I set the toolbox down next to the person that requested it. "Is there anything else I can help you with, sir?"

The man waved me off. "You've done enough for me kid. Go take a break."

"Actually, could you go get me a bottle of water by the second farthest crane?" A different man asked as he pointed towards my destination.

I nodded and quickly ran off to get the desired item. I retrieved a bottle of rather cold water and rushed back to the man. "Here's your water."

"Thanks," the man said simply as he took the water.

I smiled before heading off to find someone else to help.

That was pretty much how I spent my entire day. I rushed around, constantly helping others even when they insisted that I take a break. I had to wear a hardhat and gloves, which I didn't really like. But since it was the only way they'd allow me to help, I put up with it.

Though to be perfectly honest, what hardhat is going to protect you from a falling I-Beam? I'd like to see that plastic hat protect someone from getting smashed like a bug from the weight and force of that beam.

Anyways, the work was pretty mundane, and no one under Gatô dared to threaten Tazuna-san.

After working through our shift, Tazuna-san, Sakura, and I walked into town.

"I can't believe you didn't offer to help," I mumbled as I glared at my sister.

"Someone needs to watch out for Tazuna-san," Sakura said as she kept a hand on the strap to her bag.

"You nearly fell asleep three times," I replied as I held up three fingers for emphasis. "Three!"

Tazuna-san gave a chuckle. "Relax. Your help was more than enough Ren. If you keep that up, the bridge will be done in no time at all."

I beamed at the man, more than happy to help the people of Nami no Kuni.

"Stop, thief!" A man yelled in the sea of people in the main village of Nami no Kuni.

I looked around, but failed to see a thief making a grand escape. I frowned at my failure to help, but Sakura seemed relieved at the lack of anything remotely dangerous.

"My daughter asked me to pick up some things for our dinner on the way home, so..." Tazuna-san trailed off as he lead us to a small store. "Here we are!"

Loitering in front of the store was a kid that looked homeless and in desperate need of food.

"Welcome!" The person behind the counter greeted as Tazuna-san and Sakura entered.

I rummaged through my bag before pulling out a snack bar and juice box. "H-hey... I know this isn't a lot, but would you like it?"

The boy looked up at me before seeing what I was holding out to him. Tears filled his eyes as he took the things from my hands. "Thank you..." And with that, he rushed away to eat and drink in peace.