Chapter Thirty-Four

It had been two days since the battle where Hokage-sama and several others lost their lives in the fight between Orochimaru and Konoha. It was raining as many shinobi from all different rankings stood and watched the ceremony.

I was lucky that I was allowed to come, especially considering the fact that my arms were still unusable. They were heavily bandaged and held to my chest in slings. My chest was also tightly bound in bandages since I was literally stabbed through my lung two days ago. The nurses said it would probably be another week or so before they could be properly healed enough for me to start up being a shinobi again, but only if I took extra care with every action I performed.

My parents had a small meltdown upon learning that I had a worse injury from a month prior I never told them about. They were going to have a much worse reaction once they found out I was planning on becoming an ANBU member one day. Those two didn't want me in any more serious danger, or at least not for a long while.

My sister gave a small sigh besides me, snapping me from my thoughts. She had such a sad look on her face that reached deep into her eyes. My twin took the death of the old man hard, just like everyone else.

Sarutobi Hiruzen was a very kind person with an extraordinary Will of Fire, one that would burn on in the hearts of everyone else loyal to Konoha. Even though he did die two days ago, he managed to save the place and people he cared for so much. If he could have even that much, it was worth it to him.

I glanced up towards the Hokage Monument where a large crack ran diagonally across Sandaime-sama's face. I frowned softly at the omen that appeared three-fourths of the way through the battle. I quickly pushed negative thoughts away, however, and turned my eyes up towards the sky.

Dark, grey clouds extended out for as far eyes could see. They released large raindrops that got anyone soaking wet if they stood outside for more than ten seconds at a time. It appeared that even the heavens wept from the death of such a great man.

I slowed my head to tilt back as far as it could and allowed my eyes to rest on the black umbrella over my head. I listened to the raindrops hit the black material before allowing my head to go in its natural position.

The only reason I had been allowed to attend the ceremony was because my sister offered to hold an umbrella over me, and subsequently herself since it was big enough. The nurses didn't want my bandages to get wet and aggravate my wounds. They were so overbearing...

Sakura softly called out my name, causing me to look towards her with a raised brow. Her green eyes were still directed towards the center photo of Hokage-sama, and they were filled to the brim with unshed tears. Her free hand hesitantly reached out towards me and gripped the loose, black shirt I wore.

"Sakura..." I said, catching her attention. I looked forwards with an emotionless expression, my body not betraying my locked away sadness. "It's better not to remember how he died, but rather how he lived."

The pinkenette was clearly confused by my words, but I wasn't going to give her the answers that time.

I gave a small sigh as I shifted my weight a bit, causing pain to shoot through my arms. I winced at the sensation, but was revealed that my nerves definitely still worked. It would just take a little bit to get my muscles working again as well.

My twin tightened her grip on my sleeveless top before adjusting the umbrella so it wouldn't drop water down on the people behind us.

We stood in the front row, all the way to the right with other genin.

I ignored her concern and turned my attention back to the old man's smiling face. I looked into the black eyes of the picture, my mind drifting back to a time many years ago.